Sign in to follow this  
Guest TimD

FSD Piaggio Avanti

Guest byoung

Just wondering if anyone knows if this plane actually flies this way in real life.I have put it back into my hangar until I can determine if there is a problem with the flight model, or I just need to review the procedures. It is really hard to slow down in descents, and seems very sensitive on the controls (I can adjust sensitivities, can someone let me know if they had to do the same thing?)If this is close to the real thing, it is more than likely struggling sales wise in the real world.This is no slant on FSD International's effort, if infact it is close to reality.Just would like other opinions.Thanks!Barry

Yes it is this hard to slow down in real life, the airframe design is extremely efficient which is why it is so fast on such a small fuel burn. When preparing for a descent throttle back first and start the descent at 1,000 fpm, throttle back some more and you should be able to come down at 2,000 fpm from higher altitudes. As you get closer to 10,000 feet you will probably find you have to use a max of 1,800 fpm or less. Also make sure your descent brings you down to a point that you can level off at the low power setting to bleed off speed, at 180 kick in first notch of flaps, at 175 extend gear, once "dirty" speed is easier to modulate. Remember this is a turbine aircraft and there is no risk of engine damage from cutting power like you would find in a turbocharged piston engine.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest byoung

Thanks Zane,So it looks like FSD did hit the mark. They (real world designers) did miss one critical element, some type of speed brake. Maybe in the next design. But if I anticipate the descent is coming up in a within about 20 miles or so, I can start to slow the aircraft down in anticipation, then like you said below 180 kick in the flaps.Still seems like a flaw in the design.Now the other problem is landing.. I really don't know what the correct speed and configuration for final is.I still don't know why I can't go faster than 260 knots at FL 180 or less. Do I need to climb to higher altitudes to cruise at a higher speed?Thanks!Barry

Guest TimD

Barry wrote:"I still don't know why I can't go faster than 260 knots at FL 180 or less"This is how the airframe is rated by the FAA and other agencies. Again, this is taken directly from the Piaggio documentation.Feel free to stop by our support forum if you have any questions.http://www.fsd-international.com/team/TD_forum_sig.gif

Guest byoung

Thanks Tim,FSD has definitly hit the mark... I just have to learn the procedures.Personally, I wouldn't purchase a plane like this.Barry