Sign in to follow this  
oqvist

Swap file WinXP

Guest Dakota

how do adjust the size of my swap file in WinXP and what should it be for FS2004 to get best performance?

Hi,- Right-click 'My Computer' icon- Select 'Ptoperties' from menu- Select 'Advanced' tab- In 'Performance' frame, press 'settings' button.- 'Selected 'Advanced' tab- In 'Virtual Memory' frame, press 'change' button.Best is Windows letting decide how large your paging file should be, i.e. 'system managed size'. (Default setting)How ever if you to set it manually, a rule-of-thumb is set the size at 150% of your RAM memory. But this also depends on the total memory you have installed.The advantage of having a fixed sized swapfile is that it consequently also occupies a fixed section on your harddrive.Before changing sizes of a swapfile always defragment your disk(s).If you have multiple disks, it might be good to setup the swapfile on the disk not containing your Windows installation.(However, this also depends on the type/speed of this disk)As you probably noticed, there is not a golden rule.Be advised:- I'm not an expert on this- Consult XP help or Microsoft site- Like I said, Windows memory management does the job already good automatically.- Do at your own risk. If you are uncomfortable messing around with Windows settings/management, just don't do it!

Guest danowat

Excellent advice from Egbert, I agree that you should not alter XP page file settings from letting XP decide itself, you will encounter less issues that way.XP memory management is leaps and bounds ahead of any previous OS.Dan.

I find it better to have swap file on a separate harddrive. Makes sense because then you have the drive heads where they wants to be mostly. so they don