Sign in to follow this  

Can't edit weather. Can you?

I noticed I can't change the weather on the advanced weather tab. Even the slightest change results in an error message when I press OK, saying that I need to correct the errors... but there aren't any errors.

Has anyone been able to edit the weather?

Has anyone been able to edit the weather?

Yes, it works fine here, but I've had the same thing.... you need to go through all the tabs Clouds/Wind etc. There normally seems to be a conflict in the 'wind' tab with the gust strength being lower than the mean speed. 

you need to go through all the tabs Clouds/Wind etc. There normally seems to be a conflict in the 'wind' tab with the gust strength being lower than the mean speed.

Great find! That's it indeed! Apparently the default weather themes contain data that's not compatible with what P3D expects! There was indeed an error with gust winds which were the same as normal wind but needed to be higher. After changing the gust wind, I could save the changes.

Thanks again: this was really starting to bother me... ^_^

I also found that to get the advanced weather to "stick" I would fiRsT have to setlect the clear weather theme to clear all weather, and then go to user defined,/ advanced and set up my weather parameters.

rOB

Robin Harris

I also found that to get the advanced weather to "stick" I would fiRsT have to setlect the clear weather theme to clear all weather, and then go to user defined,/ advanced and set up my weather parameters.

rOB

That's probably because that theme doesn't have gust winds and those winds are causing the problem. If you want to create weather from scratch, clear weather indeed the best theme to select at first.

You also need to set the wind strength and direction at at least two heights.

You also need to set the wind strength and direction at at least two heights.

Actually I can get it to work setting only one wind layer.

But there is a rule that I remember reading about, I think it was is the Weather Theme Creation SDK  (a separate FS9 SDK from the main ESP SDK that, one has to download from MS to create weather themes like "Grey and Rainy",   "Approaching Cold Front" etc). Not that Weather Themes (.wtd files) should be confused with the weather setups from the advanced tab in the weather settings window (.wx files saved with a flight), but certain settings are related. Themes have a used-defined spatial layout around any starting point, i.e they are mapped into a map grid,. Weather settings are station-based at a user-selected station, set of stations or all stations. That is really the key difference, otherwise how you define wind/ cloud / temp layers works to same for both.

Despite being FS9 vintage it is still in use, and works to create saved themes for P3D -  well for V2.0 at least,  as have not tried its themes with V2.1 yet.

The rule is that the surface / first layer has to go up to a certain height AGL above the current station. Can't remember exactly what the value is, but if memory serves me correctly its 500ft or 1500ft AGL. Certainly using a 1500ft AGL value I get my single surface wind layer to stick. Makes sense cos if winds are below surface level, they are sub-terranean, and you certainly will not experience those when flying!

Rob

Rob

Robin Harris