Sign in to follow this  
markgsu

PMDG Autothrottle and Visual Approach

Quick questions for the community because I seem to be struggling with  this.

FMC setup, go  to go there. 

Under 10,000ft I am disengaging the autopilot to fly my visual approach. 

Autothrottle seems to hold the speed well until I get on final.

It doesn't seem like it is holding my VRef speed well at all. I consistently have to disengage, which results in a hard touchdown with high rate of descent because I seem to be floating it. 

On the MCP I have the A/T button alluminated with the speed in the MCP set at Vref+5 so around 142 or so. I am already in full landing setup with flaps at 30 and gear down. 

Where am I going wrong. In the FMC I do have the approach set at flaps 30 and vref of 137. 

Do you have a throttle quadrant?

If so then set it up in the FMC the way you prefer and then:

1)with the option: "Thrust Lever overrides AT - ALLWAYS" you have to constantly follow the PMDG throttles with your TLs even when the AT is engaged.

2)with the option: "Thrust Lever overrides AT - in HOLD only" you have to check your TL position only when the thrust mode changes to HOLD. (FLCH descend for example)

3)with the option: "Thrust Lever overrides AT - NEVER" you dont have to worry about the TLs at all when the AT is engaged.

Rob Robson

HOLD is generally the best option, it gives you manual control above 80kts on take off and during idle descents

Rob Prest