Sign in to follow this  
Guest skyman78

strobe lights and radio tower lights

Guest skyman78

Hi there. Lastnight I loaded up flightsim and noticed something really strange, the storbe lights on my aircraft as well as all other planes were flashing really fast. Along with the planes the radio tower lights did the same thing. It was as if the simulation rate were at 8x, thats how fast they were flashing. I found this very unrealistic and frustrating. Has anyone else had this problem, or have any ideas on how to fix it? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Rod

What add-ons have you most recently installed? Usually this will happen when adding an aircraft or scenery that adds effects to the effects folder. Many times these will overwrite existing effects which, especially if not originally designed for FS2004 will cause problems. You could look into the installation files for the most recent add-ons to check for any potential conflicts and replace the effects files that were replaced with default from the original CD's.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

search the library for this file asynchronous_strobes_effects.zip

Guest skyman78

thanks for your quick reply- the only thing that i installed is the winter haze effect...and some planes...one of the planes had a setup.exe file and installed it by itself...lets say that it replaced some files...would it effect the radio tower lights as well as the aircraft lights? rod

" ...would it effect the radio tower lights as well as the aircraft lights?"Depends on whether the file overwrote existing effect files. A developer could have used any number of effects to get the result they were looking for. There was an earlier thread where the same thing had occurred, do a search to see if that user was able to resolve the problem. The asynchronous lights are nice, I have them, but I recall in the previous post mentioned that it would not solve the problem. I'm thinking also there could be some setting within the fs9.cfg file that might control this rate of blinking that somehow got messed up.Edit: do a search for "fast" and "strobes" using the advanced search function so you don't search all forums, just "Microsoft Flight Simulators." You will find two postings and each have some descriptions of how to get into the effects files and alter their settings... hopefully they will help you out.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest Mach42

You should also check fx_obslight.fx, which is the file used for things such as towers and other obstructions on the ground. There's a replacement file in the AVSIM library called obslightv1.zip.

Guest skyman78

thank you for your reply, a long time ago i downloaded that file and it worked fine, then as i said above i downloaded some planes and the wintery haze effect, to the best of my knowledge that is when the lights started blinking faster. Lastnight i downloaded the asynchronous strobe effect file again to see if it would help and the answer is no. They still blink as if it were at 8x sim rate. If someone would be so kind as to let me email them my strobe.fx files so that they can have a look it might be able to shed some light as to whether it is in the files or something else. thank you again for all of your help. Rod