Sign in to follow this  
surlybonds

Scenery Library Question

Hi Guys!

I recently had to reinstall all my fs softare and recently noticed that there is no longer a listing for "Addon Scenery" in the scenery library.  I don't know how it went missing, but I'm thinking it needs to be in the library in order to 'see' any scenery listed in the "addon scenery" folder. correct?  OK, Stupid question. . . how do I get it back in the Library?

Thanks for your wisdom and expertise!!!

Donn

Entries in the Scenery Library, also known as scenery areas, consist of a parent folder and at least one child folder named scenery.

The parent folder can also contain a child folder named texture if needed.

The parent folder can also contain stuff like a readme file or screenshots that FS will ignore.

For the Scenery Library entry Addon Scenery the child folder is ...\FSX\Addon Scenery\scenery, and optionally ...\FSX\Addon Scenery\texture.

Any other addon scenery in ...\FSX\Addon Scenery will not be affected by the Addon Scenery entry in the Scenery Library.

In other words, a Scenery Library entry for some airport, with files in ...\FSX\Addon Scenery\some airport\scenery is not controlled by the Addon Scenery entry in the Scenery Library.

Hope this helps.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Thanks Joe,

Sorry for my thick head. I guess my main question is:  it seems to me I originally had the words "Add On Scenery" as an entry in the scenery library.  I deleted that entry by mistake.  By deleting that entry in the scenery library have I negated all those scenery files in the FSX\Add On Scenery folder?  If so, How do I reinsert the words "Add On Scenery" within the Scenery Library?  Does this make any sense?

each of the 8 or so folders in the FSX\Add On Scenery folder - most of which are FSG mesh, does have a 'scenery' sub-folder.  Are they loaded automatically into FSX when it starts up by virtue of their being within the 'Add On Scenery" folder - even if the words "Add On Scenery" do not exist in the scenery library?

Thanks for your help!!

Donn

I originally had the words "Add On Scenery" as an entry in the scenery library.  I deleted that entry by mistake.  By deleting that entry in the scenery library have I negated all those scenery files in the FSX\Add On Scenery folder?

You have deactivated only the *.bgl files in ...\FSX\Addon Scenery\scenery, nothing more.

How do I reinsert the words "Add On Scenery" within the Scenery Library?

Add it back in as you would any scenery area. Are you familiar with that procedure?

each of the 8 or so folders in the FSX\Add On Scenery folder - most of which are FSG mesh, does have a 'scenery' sub-folder. Are they loaded automatically into FSX when it starts up by virtue of their being within the 'Add On Scenery" folder - even if the words "Add On Scenery" do not exist in the scenery library?

Only if they each have an entry in the Scenery Library.

Say you have an entry in the Scenery Library named "My Airport".

That entry will consist of a folder named "My Airport". Inside that folder will be another folder named "scenery" which will contain a/some files with the .bgl extension.

Optionally "My Airport" may contain a folder named "texture" that will contain image files with extensions such as .bmp or .DDS. If it is an old airport there may be other extensions in there as well.

Let's say that "My Airport" is located in "Addon Scenery" so we have...

...\FSX\Addon Scenery\My Airport\scenery and

...\FSX\Addon Scenery\My Airport\texture

The Scenery Library entry for Addon Scenery will have no impact on "My Airport"

So if your FSG mesh folders don't have their own entry in the Scenery Library FSX does not see them regardless of the existence or non-existence of the Addon Scenery entry.

If you are new to adding scenery and have an OS later than Windows XP you may want to watch this video-

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

each of the 8 or so folders in the FSX\Add On Scenery folder - most of which are FSG mesh, does have a 'scenery' sub-folder. Are they loaded automatically into FSX when it starts up by virtue of their being within the 'Add On Scenery" folder - even if the words "Add On Scenery" do not exist in the scenery library?

Short answer... no. Only the .bgl files located in the Addon Scenery/Scenery folder are recognized. Any sub-folders are not and you have to add them to the scenery library.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks you guys I think I have it figured out now.  The video was helpful - I had forgotten about the Windows 7 quirk and was wondering why my sceneries were'nt registering.

Thanks again for your kind help!!

Donn