Sign in to follow this  
regis9

Replacement Throttles - CH Products, Saitek or Other?

Hello, I'm currently using a Saitek throttle.  I've had it for about 7 years, but it is finally acting up (the axes are moving all over the place) to the point that I can't use the mixture lever at all, and i have to use significant dead zones at both ends of my left and middle levers to avoid spiking.

So now i want to replace this unit.  I've been looking at either the CH Products throttle quadrant or two Saitek throttles (I've made the decision I want six levers total).

I fly a combination of airliners and GA so I'm looking for something versatile enough to do both.

I wasn't able to find much on this forum directly comparing the two.  I've read a lot about Saitek having poor quality and breaking quickly, I've read a bit about CH products doing this too but seemingly less.  I'm wondering what other people's experiences have been and if one is really more relaible than the other?  I mean I did get seven years or so from my current throttle, but maybe that was just a fluke?

For the Saitek throttles, are they relatively easy to set up with FSX given that they are separate units? (I do have registered FSUIPC although I haven't yet tried using it to set up any controls).

For the CH Products quadrant, can anyone comment on where the detent is located?  ie is it near the bottom of the axis like the Saitek unit and therefore useful for thrust reverse, or is it in the middle of the axis (stupid question maybe, but I haven't been able to find any info).

For the CH Product quadrant, any comments on the length of the throw for each lever?  It looks to be much shorter than Saitek?

Finally, am I missing any products?  I'm not interested in spending $700 (well ok I am, but my credit card is not!), but is there anything else I'm missing say in the <$300 range?

Thanks for any help/advice/comments.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Detent is near the bottom, maybe 1/8 inch or so travel from bottom to detent.  Total Travel is approx 60 degress and about 4 inches. Center of travel is at vertical.

Six controls shaped like flap levers on the bottom, different botton assinment for each up and down.  The are easy to hit with your hand, so be careful.

It will wear out like anything else-- mine is 4-5 years old and the friction is starting to vary a lot between levers, but the signal still seems intact.

I like using separate levers for T/R axis', but that is just my preference.  The detents are useful for ground/flight idle ranges for Turboprops.  The reverse levers' detent is idle reverse with below being stowed, and above being increased reverse thrust.

It has interchangeable tops and I use fro Turboprops, pistons, and jets.

Big difference (well, depending on how you mount the Saitek) is that it can only sit on top of the desk, with the clamps wrapping around the front edge of your desk.  Depending on your layout, that can effect ergonomics.

It is useful that it only shows up as one device and only uses 1 USB port as well-- makes making assignments easier.

You probably won't go wrong with either!

Don

I wore out the detents on Ch Products throttle in less than two years, floppy. Thats 100's of hours though.

Thanks for the input guys.  I went ahead and ordered the CH Quadrant today, looking forward to some six-axis flying tomorrow!

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU