Sign in to follow this  
BilboBaggins

Latecomer to P3D(vs)

So,

Out of curiosity and an abundance of impatience over the seemingly-forever-near-release of Aerosoft's new F-14 Tomcat (which I'll probably wait on for awhile and assess how much work needs to be done post-release on this no-doubt complex aircraft), I picked up P3Dv2.1 today (latest), and tootled around in it for awhile.

The opaque ATC comms window is an absolute non-starter for me.  Sigh.

Aside from that, though, some nice graphics features, and it's good to see the ORBX and REX stuff in there purely from a visuals point of view.  Graphically, there are definitely changes and improvements with DX10 and DX11 just not obtainable with DX9.

Aside from that, though, I think it'll be a good, long while before I consider abandoning FSX for P3D.  Clearly lots of progress is being made on the latter, but in a lot of subtle ways, from interface design to overall control, look and feel, there's still a lot of work to do.

I'll be happy to keep an eye on it but count me as a definite, decisive vote for the FSX versions of any add-ons upcoming for the future, if there has to be a choice (nice that many developers are not forcing one on us).

And I continue to thoroughly enjoy an FS engine I am very familiar with; there are a lot of subtleties I've gotten control over and can adjust dynamically for different situations, and at present I'm not seeing any kind of quantum leap in experience (just a small leap in graphics, really) with P3D.

Keep up the good work, though, and best of luck!