Sign in to follow this  
Poncho

Opinions on these strore bought gaming rigs, please.

It's time for me to replace my desktop home computer. My biggest concern is I also use it for FSX, so I know it's going to cost me. My employer has a plan in which help to cover some of the costs of a new computer. The catches are I need to buy a pre-bult machine (can't build my own) and it needs to be local as opposed to over the Internet. For example I'm in canada so I can't buy one of those Hell Fire gaming rigs out of the USA. 

I am posting a link to the local Staples store and it compares 3 gaming units that I am considering. I am so out of touch with what is current/good/bad I am lost. Also I am not good with computers so I don't want to be making mods or tweaking too much. I hoping to get the best plug and play system I can get for under $2,000. Their website show about a dozen different gaming rigs which I just don't know much about, but I picked out 3 here. Two are just under my budget and 1 is quite a bit cheaper. Can anybody comment on them for me? Should I avoid any or all of these? Any opinions are welcome. Thanks for your time. 

http://www.staples.ca/gaming+computer/directory_gaming+computer_20051_1_20001?rpp=24&pn=1&vt=listView&sr=true#compareList=['825791-s0759383','2058023-m000514171','2058027-m000514175']&viewDetails='compareView'

Oh shoot , looks like the comparison page will not work. OK we will try this. Here should be the specs on the two more expensive units.

PRODUCT DETAILS CyberPowerPC Gamer Supreme Desktop - Powerful Processor

Perfect for the gaming enthusiast, the CyberPowerPC gamer supreme desktop features a 3.5 GHz i7-4770K Haswell processor from Intel and 16 GB of DDR SDRAM memory for maximum power. This machine has the speed to handle even the most demanding games, so you can turn your desktop into a one-stop entertainment center.

• 3.5GHz Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell Processor
  • 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
  • 2 TB SATA III HDD (7200 rpm) and 120 GB SSD
  • 12x Blu-Ray & DVDRW Combo Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX770 2GB Graphics Card
  • Windows 8, 64-bit
  • 4x USB 3.0, 4x USB 2.0
  • Ports: 2x Mic, 1x Line-in, 2x Line-out, 1x HDMI, 2X DVI, 1x Display Port
  • Features integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet
  • Accessories Included: USB Gaming Keyboard & Mouse / Driver Discs / Power Cord
  • 1-year limited warranty

Windows 8 Comes Preinstalled
The CyberPowerPC gamer supreme desktop comes with Windows 8 preinstalled, so you can take advantage of all that the latest operating system from Microsoft has to offer. Use it to download new files to your computer, surf the web, or connect with your fellow gamers via your favorite social network.

Plenty of Space
With its 2 TB SATA II hard disk drive and a 120 GB SDD, the CyberPowerPC gamer supreme desktop has so much room for your favorite games and movies that you can build your own personal library straight from your home. Turn your computer into a powerful jukebox filled with music, games, and films that you can access with the click of a mouse.

Blu-ray Compatible
This desktop comes with a Blu-ray and DVD combo player so you can enjoy films in all their high-definition glory. It also has eight USB ports so you can easily save and transfer files.

• SPECIFICATIONS
# of USB Ports 4x USB 3.0, 4x USB 2.0 Hard Drive Size 2TB + 120GB SSD Hard Drive Speed 7200RPM Memory 16GB Memory Type DDR3 Network Card 10/100/1000 Operating System Microsoft Windows 8 OS, 64-bit Optical Drive 12X Blu-ray & DVD +/- RW combo Processor Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell Video Graphics 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX770 Desktop Hard Drive Size 2TB Desktop Operating System Windows 8 Desktop Processor Intel Core i7 Desktop Memory 16 Refurbished No

PRODUCT DETAILS
  • 3.5GHz Liquid Cooled Intel Core i7-4770k Haswell (4th Generation)
  • 16GB DDR3 SDRAM / 32GB (Max)
  • 120GB SATA III SSD & 2TB SATA III HDD (7200 rpm)
  • AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB
  • 24X DVD+/-RW Dual-Layer Super-Multi Drive
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit Edition
  • Integrated - 10/100/1000 Ethernet
  • CoolerMaster Cosmos SE Black Full-Tower Gaming Case
  • Dimensions: 20.6" H. x 10.4" W. x 22.32" D.
  • 1-year manufacturer's limited warranty (details with product)
  • Included in the Box: USB Gaming Keyboard, USB Mouse, Recovery Disc, Driver Discs, Power Cord.

SPECIFICATIONS
# of USB Ports 6 x USB 2.0, 4 x USB 3.0 Additional Features Includes USB Gaming Keyboard & Mouse Audio Integrated - Realtek ALC887 Bluetooth Enabled No Cache 8 MB L3 Dimensions 20.6" H. x 10.4" W. x 22.32" D. Energy Star Qualified No Hard Drive Size 2TB Hard Drive Speed 7200RPM HDMI Port Yes Memory 16GB Memory Expandable to 32GB Memory Type DDR3 Network Card 10/100/1000 Ethernet Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit Edition Optical Drive 24X DVD±RW Dual-Layer Super-Multi Drive Other Ports PS/2 Keyboard, PS/2 Mouse, RJ45 LAN, Audio Jack, DVI, HDMI, Displayport Processor 4th Generation Liquid Cooled Intel Core i7-4770k Haswell, 3.5GHz Video Graphics 4GB AMD Radeon R9 290 Warranty 1-year manufacturer's limited warranty (details with product) Weight 34.99 lbs. Desktop Hard Drive Size 2TB Desktop Operating System Windows 8 Desktop Processor Intel Core i7 Desktop Solid State Drive Size 120GB Desktop Memory 16GB Refurbished No

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The Gamer Supreme Desktop seems to be the better choice as far as FSX goes. I have read that ATI/AMD announced that they will not be making active efforts to support the older coding systems, which FSX still runs.  Besides that I have always seen Nvidia as the "go-to" as far as FSX goes. So the first system seems to be at an advantage in that area. Both systems have SSD which I hope they load the OS onto since I would imagine it comes pre-installed, definatly throw FSX on the SSD when you get it. Both have "K" series i7's which is good for overclocking and performance. The only thing I don't like about these computers is the fact that they just tell you DDR3 16GB memory with no reference as to what the speed of the memory is or anything. RAM speed is important in FSX with constant loading and moving of texutres in the sim. And with the newest Generation Haswell it can take advantage of these higher speeds such as 2400 or 2133. However they also don't specify MB which is an important part in the RAM decision too, so not much you can do about that. I think the best choice would be the first computer really only for the Nvida GTX770, and then later down the road depending on what RAM is  provided you could possibly upgrade since RAM is about the easiest thing to swap. The only disadvantage I see in this system is it doesn't say liquid cooling so cannot be sure about what cooling they use if stock or not which may be a problem if you desire to overclock past say 4.1-4.2 Ghz.

Best of luck!