Sign in to follow this  
tsaG

Buying a new GPU or a new PC?

Hi,

Im using a Mac Pro 3.1 for Gaming. Right now I have installed an HD6870 GPU. My Plan ist to buy a GTX780 but I dont know if there is a Big advantage since my System is pretty old.

Im using 8x2.6ghz Intel Xeon CPUs

18gb RAM

512 GB SSD.

What do you think, is my rig capable of handling the new Power GPU or is it the Bottleneck and I should think about buying an i7?

Regards

From what I have read on the LM forums, your CPU does make a difference, as does your GPU.  You could certainly install the 780 and see how it performs and if you are not pleased with that use that 780 in a new build.  I modernized my computer from an intel e67650, which I purchased in 2007, to an i5 3570 and coupled it with a good GPU 770/4Gb.  I noticed exceptional results and I feel you would as well.  

P3D can run well enough on older equipment, but it is a modern platform that requires modern hardware in order to take full advantage of its capabilities.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Look at the AMD offerings as well.

The 780 is a good card but a 290 will best it for less money.