Sign in to follow this  
loftboy

Adding a fourth screen in FSX issues

Tried using a VGA to DVI adapter to connect the fourth monitor to the motherboard - nothing happens, just a blank screen. So I quit this route and went back to the display port on the graphics card using a 15" HDMI TV with a direct HDMI to displayport lead - and that works a treat. it's a bit bulkier than the other monitor, but having tried everything I just want to practice some flying now!

Glad you got a working setup anyway.

Just a bit of encouragement, I ran exactly the same setup as you (one under three monitors) except I used a gtx670 and four Dell 24"s.

It worked without any problems.

Perhaps it's something to do with that fourth monitor.

With only a VGA input it must be pretty old?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I have the same setup too. My 4th is an old VGA. On one of my screens I did have to use an active display port adapter. (I think I found that info somewhere on Nvidias site that it was required)

There is some function , probably in the BIOS, that sets your boot screen. So the screen that I want to show the BIOS and windows bootloader I always plug that one in first. Load into windows 1 time. That way the BIOS will always show on the center screen. 

The best practice with this setup is to setup your surround first, then enable the 4th screen and position the 4th screen properly in Nvidia control panel or windows display properties.

Also , do not under any circumstance try to use a USB screen or have those drivers on your system. It will totally screw up your surround.  Newer display link software somewhat works but it's very dodgy....

fsx2_zps22ffeac3.jpg

Thanks for all your help. Quite satisfied by all my efforts, never even knew these things existed until recently, but with the help of various forums, much problem solving etc I'm ready to go.

Thanks for all your help. Quite satisfied by all my efforts, never even knew these things existed until recently, but with the help of various forums, much problem solving etc I'm ready to go.

Yes I could live with that.  :)

How do you find that Saitek radio panel?

It's been on my "want list" for awhile.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

To be honest, I've not even used the radio panel yet, in fact getting all the Saitek to work at once is proving a pain, I think all these USB connections causes too many conflicts of power - I've read the best way to have that many is to use a separate PC and link them over - no way hose. Having solved the 4th monitor issue, I am now tempted to flip the monitors over to portrait and have 4 in a row thus seeing more of the cockpit and doing away with some of the Saitek stuff - it's all for show really, and have wasted too many hours trying to get them all operable. Spad drivers didn't help much. The BIP and the switch panel don't really do much anyway, but would like to keep the autopilot one as it's quite good, as are the instrument ones. I'm sure the radio panel will be useful if I ever get to that stage. 

I tried the portrait thing too, unless you got all good IPS screens with good view angles it looks bad, after all that work i ended up putting it back........

For your saitek stuff. Just invest in some powered USB (2.0) hubs if you overload your USB you will get weirdness , self powered hubs will fix that. Also don't use those saitek in USB 3.0 ports all the guys I fly with say it causes them problems..

If I bought another monitor to make it four of the same, can you actually use a 4-screen surround display using the displayport for the 4th monitor? All i can find on here is posts of 3+1, as per the origin of this post? Have tried using the three in portrait mode and it looks so much better, just want that extra bit of width that a 4th monitor would provide.

If I bought another monitor to make it four of the same, can you actually use a 4-screen surround display using the displayport for the 4th monitor? All i can find on here is posts of 3+1, as per the origin of this post? Have tried using the three in portrait mode and it looks so much better, just want that extra bit of width that a 4th monitor would provide.

No, you cannot do four monitors in Surround.

Pretty sure you can do four with Radeon's Eyefinity though.

Three in portrait mode can look good as you say.

Much less distortion at the edges.

gb.

Is this possible with a GTX770 - http://www.web-cyb.org/images/lcds/27inCinema_19inAsus-x2_a.jpg

I can't see anywhere in the control panel that let's you flip two side monitors to portrait, keeping the centre one in landscape.

Even with a gtx770 you can not do that in surround.

They have yo be either all landscape or all portrait.

You can do it that way as shown in your link if you you do not use Surround but just run the monitors as independent units.

You can have a separate VC view on each one.

You have to manually align the views but you can then link them up so they move as one.

Worth trying.

Downside is view geometry distortion if you look up or down and a greater hit on frame rates.

You could use this method with either three or more landscape or portrait monitors too of course.

gb

Wow, that sounds like a lot of hassle.

Anyway, I've reinstalled FSX clean in landscape mode (portrait was a little hard on the eyes) - guess what, tried the original fourth monitor using the displayport apapter, and it worked first time. I think I messed too much with the config file re all the monitors.

Thanks for all your help.

Why is the cockpit view in loft's picture above not centred within the 3 monitors but centred for the 2 right screens. I have the same issue and can't figure out how to make the middle of the second monitor the centre point.

Why is the cockpit view in loft's picture above not centred within the 3 monitors but centred for the 2 right screens. I have the same issue and can't figure out how to make the middle of the second monitor the centre point.

Well it is centered for the captain's seat perspective which is normal for all VCs I've seen.

If you want the centre of the cockpit to be at the centre of the middle screen

use the keyboard short cut, CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to move the camera eyepoint to the right.

CTRL+SHIFT+BACKSPACE will move it left.

gb.

Thanks for your help, gb. Not sure I will change it but i will see hot it looks. I guess 2 monitors would make it feel more realistic.