Sign in to follow this  
soarhead

Reinstalling FSX gold- 1722 error/resetsldl error

I tried to reinstall my FSX gold after a complete removal, including resgistry. When I tried the reinstall I got the 1722 installation error, which research showed me was the microsoft installer's error. A microsoft  webpage pointed me to their file "kb928080", which downloads a file "resetslds.exe", which you run in a DOS window (I used an elevated command prompt- you need administrator rights) with the command line argument "-All".  I've added all the quotes just for this posting, not when using the files. The resetsldl program is supposed to reset licenses and activations when getting errors reinstalling.

Trouble is the resetsldl program ended with "Error - Hresult 8009000f" [sic:the "H" was really there]. This is the problem because I can find no more help about what to do. Microsoft doesn't appear  to support FSX anymore. Anybody able to clue me in?

You need to run AppCrashView - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html and post the results of the crash here. Hresult error is just a Microsoft.net error. This is used by FSX developers to make sure the application runs as they intended. I did a search (like you) and found the following - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-gaming/cant-install-microsoft-flight-simulator-x-gold/50d15651-aad5-46aa-be9a-c1211dd2944b. This individual fix his/her problem by setting the compatibility mode in the FSX properties.

When you uninstalled FSX, did you remove the files in the hidden folders too? Here's a good guide for completely uninstalling and reinstalling FSX - http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.

Getting the 1722 installation error is sort of like getting the kiss of death as it's very difficult for almost everyone who gets it to find a solution. Trying to install it in Windows 8 is another major issue as there are more security rules. You should have UserAccessControls off and any anti-virus program turned off whenever you attempt to install software as they could prohibit the installation of key components.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thank you for your thoughtful comments, which I have looked at without success, unfortunately.

1.    The AppCrashView program is very interesting. It shows more things than I would call crashes, such as termination of programs that hadn't quite completed yet, but, anyway, nothing like anything I saw as interesting was in  my log. It reports crashes that happened even before I had my AppCrashView program installed, so it's reading some sort of long, long log going back months. I can't see how to attach a file to this so here's the part of the log for the time of and after I started this reinstall process:

==================================================
Process File      : CHCtlMgr.exe
Event Name        : Stopped working
Event Time        : 6/29/2014 8:17:41 PM
User Name         : Bigdog
Exception Code    : 0xc0000005
Exception Offset  : 0x0011298b
Fault Module Name : CHCtlMgr.exe
Fault Module Version: 6.0.0.0
Process Path      : C:\Program Files (x86)\CH Products\CHCtlMgr.exe
Report File Size  : 11,782
Report File Path  : C:\Users\Bigdog\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_CHCtlMgr.exe_4b2cbb3476dd4e32120b88c2f1d174b634f9e2_0c86f5ec\Report.wer

Process File      : fs9.exe
Event Name        : Program Compatibility
Event Time        : 6/29/2014 8:01:02 PM
Exception Code    :
Exception Offset  :
Fault Module Name :
Fault Module Version:
Process Path      : C:\FS9\fs9.exe
Report File Size  : 1,922
Report File Path  : C:\Users\Bigdog\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\NonCritical_fs9.exe_243a6e1df4bfe8b55ad7b64c61a42912a74ebf5_0043be97\Report.wer

Process File      : Explorer.EXE
Event Name        : User canceled a hung navigation.
Event Time        : 6/28/2014 7:07:23 PM
Exception Code    :
Exception Offset  :
Fault Module Name :
Fault Module Version:
Process Path      : C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
Report File Size  : 24,708
Report File Path  : C:\Users\Bigdog\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppHang_{F3364BA0-65B9-1_03f722b1c3a9f7342b324b90c4342939636d4_0846a4cf\Report.wer

You can see that after I posted a notice in this forum I began working with FS9 and my CH Products controller, but don't think that's related, or the explorer thing.  These are all the reported crashes since that day. All my other programs work fine. I ran the resetsldl program again after I got AppCrashView, got the same error, but the log hadn't change after I opened it again.

2.   The PMDG website was very comprehensive, but I had completed thos steps already. I knew about the files hidden in the "user" subdirectories already. The one I did not know about was the shader cache folder, but I didn't seem to have one.

3. I went to the link you included in your 1st paragraph, which is similar to one I had been to, but it was for someone with Windows8. I am using Win7 64.  He was the given the suggestion to use it in compatibility mode for Win7, which I already am in. Actually, his own reply, at the very end of his second post, says what got him running was using  an adminstrators prompt, which I was earlier taught [who knows why?] to call an "elevated prompt," which is something I had already done. To get one you hold down SHF key while clicking the DOS window. I assume he is talking about getting a DOS window in which to reun the resetsldl program.

I appreciate your taking the time and energy to make these posts. I don't doubt that somebody has the obscure bit of knowledge this one is going to take.