Sign in to follow this  
Busterbvi

Rebuilding FSX

This has probably been discussed before but I want to take a different approach to re building FSX, here is my cunning plan.  My current FSX path is simply G:\Flight Simulator X which works just fine except for one important aircraft add on.  I intend to create a new folder on my G drive named Microsoft Games and install FSX in there. Now before I activate it or un pack it by opening the interface, I plan on copy and pasting my existing SIMOBJECTS, EFFECTS, GAUGES & SOUNDS folders into the new FSX installation, when everything shows up in the new FSX root I will delete the old FSX completely and activate and unpack the new FSX then add Acceleration.

I am aware that I will need to delete certain files on my C drive under Users\Roaming\AppData\Microsoft\FSX  etc in Win 7 but this will be done just prior to unpacking the new FSX and after cleaning out the registry and the old shortcut.

I am not interested in any scenery at this stage, that will come later when my add on planes are safely in their new hangar. My scenery is all boxed DVD. Are there any other important folders to C & P over ?  And does anyone see any problem with this approach ?

Thanks.  Buster.

I doubt Windows is going to allow you to install FSX again as long as the one on G:\Flight Simulator X exists. You have to completely uninstall FSX (here's a good guide) - http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx, then reinstall. I do not see any possible way your plan will work.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim.   I went ahead and did it and FSX is sitting in G:\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X and it seems quite happy. It is not activated or initalised.  I have already started pillaging it for spare parts, my original FSX had a corrupt EFFECTS folder so I C & P the EFFECTS folder over from the new FSX and bingo, it fixed my problem.

I think the trick here is not to allow the registry to see the new FSX, if I activate or initalise it by opening the interface, I will be in trouble !

I am halfway there now, I just need to confirm what folders to copy over to save all my add on planes ?