Sign in to follow this  
moss1

Best way to update X-Plane10 to 10.30 beta and backup existing 10.25?

Hi everyone,

I would like to get the beta 10.30+ version of X-Plane installed. Can you tell me if I'm on track with the following method below? This is to preserve my existing version 10.25..

Forgive me if this has been asked. I don't get to use my sim as much lately and may have missed this.  OK, here we go....

1) Copy the entire Xplane 10.25 directory and paste in another location into a new directory folder as it will be on the same C drive.

2) The now copied version of 10.25...Launch and update to the newest beta version.

3) Create new shortcuts to my desktop for 10.30 beta for easy access to launch.

That being said, most importantly... will I have to re-register any of my add ons in the new beta version as they were copied, or does all license reg info stay intact?

Thanks for any help you can provide. :-)

Best, Jeff

You pretty much nailed it...

1) Copy the entire Xplane 10.25 directory and paste in another location into a new directory folder as it will be on the same C drive.

Yup. Make a copy anywhere on your computer. It's best to give the folder an easy to understand name... I use "D:\X-Plane" and "D:\X-Plane Beta" myself...

2) The now copied version of 10.25...Launch and update to the newest beta version.

Yup. Launch the copy real fast, then close it out to let the installer be able to see it. Then, launch the Installer/Updater. Select updating, and when prompted select the X-Plane installation you wish to bring up to the beta versions. Don't forget to check off the "Use beta" checkbox.

3) Create new shortcuts to my desktop for 10.30 beta for easy access to launch.

If you'd like, sure!

I don't know how payware addons work in this method - I don't have any currently installed... I would imagine that the registrations would remain intact on their original installation locations, but I can't speak to how they would work in the new, now updated spot. This method of running multiple instances seems fairly common, so I'd imagine that it's not going to be an issue. At worst, the addons will still work in 10.25 and once .30 is out of beta, you can bring that install up to date.

-Greg