Sign in to follow this  
Pilot53

Low Fps In Clouds

Im having a strange issue with clouds in dx10 mode.  Im using steves dx10 fixer and REX 4 Texture direct with asn. I notice it is not all clouds, just towering cumulus, especially when there are alot of them.  There are many posts about this issue relating to AA settings, but i experience this issue even with aa disabled.  i have tried resetting rex textures as well.  The strange thing is my gpu is not straining at all, only showing about 12% usage.

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

I also have this issue too. Also REX4 and ASN and i have no idea what exactly is the cause of this.

€: Do you have SP2 installed? One of the fixes is - Fixed drop down issue within Direct X drop downs - FIXED

Philipp Schwaegerl

Update:  

The problem has nothing to do with rex or dx10, as I am able to replicate the problem using a fresh install of fsx without rex and with or without dx10 enabled.  I was able to eliminate the problem completely by turning water down to low2x from mid 2x.  Mid is the setting that enables cloud reflections, this means the problem is related to cloud reflections.

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

Ok, I will test it. But du you have the SP2 of REX? The SP2 of REX4 contains a "DX drop down" fix.

Philipp Schwaegerl

yep I've got sp2.

I have great improvement ( fps and looks) when I use

512 32bit clouds

I think they look much better than the higher resolution versions

-softer.

Rex 4, DX10 Fixer

I personally dont notice a fps difference on my system.  Anyhow as I sated the issue is not due to rex or cloud resolution as the problem can be replicated with default fsx clouds.  It has to do with the way cloud reflections are handled.

[actually I only have DXT5 Texture Compression - I thought I had 32BIT]

Top of REX4 Texture Direct Dialog  (i)  *  - x -The astererisk

Config Settings & Optimisation

FS Folder      TEXTURE RESOLUTION  

512 Low-Level Clouds

512 (Low Res) High/Mid Level clouds

Texture Compression DXT5 ( both low and high)