Sign in to follow this  
nathanpinard

Question about PMDG 7** and failures

I wasn't quite able to find all of this info on the site. If I missed anything apologies.

NOTE: I am not a PMDG customer yet. I currently am using P3D. I will no doubt get XPX. At some point I will be (there is no reason why I would NOT purchase a PMDG product that is supported on my system, as I highly impressed)

I've been absorbing PMDG previews through YouTube and Angle of Attack's videos. I have the 737 NGX videos and 777 from AOA.

My question is this:

The 737 NGX series seems to have amazing failure mechanics, including support with FS2Crew and maintenance based failtures, as well as on-demand failtures. They explain this in the AOA videos.

However, though I haven't finished them yet, the 777 vidoes don't seem to explain this. And if the 777 does have failtures, are the maintenance based random failures, failures based on treatment of aircraft in flight, on demand failtures? All the of the above.

My understand is the DC6 will not have a failture system, or at least not one as robust.

Can anyone tell me if the NGX is something more special, or every PMDG aircraft has the same failure system?

NOTE: I am a major fan of any aircraft addon that lets you know you flew it too hard, or too much, or did not maintain it properly. This includes enviromental failtures too, like ice.

Hi Nathan,

The 777 failure system is very similar to the one that exists on the 737. You have the option of selecting service-based failures, random failures, or specific component failures. As far as I am aware, the DC-6 will not feature a failure system, as it's mean to be a 'lighter' product.

You'll be able to expect a detailed failure system in every PMDG modern airliner add-on following the NGX.

Best regards.

Excellent. Thank you for that.

Surprisingly, there aren't a lot of pilots doing failtures on YouTube. Only some doing an engine failure or two. I'd love to see an archive of various failtures while flying for VA.

I haven't see on pilot do proper procedures on a failture, with VATSIM, with an unplanned failture in the flight. Froogle does an example of FS2Crew Emergency, but it's planned. Matt Davies has a failure, but he decided to just "YOLO" it out (he did land the plane)

I am really hoping that the Q400 training edition actually records the flight just like in real life, so you can analyze the data, cockpit voice recording, and maybe even have a fraps of it.

NOTE: I have been watching a lot of air crash investigation, so I'd like to see how people simming handle things like that. It's rather fascinating with what checklists prevent.

So much that I've applied the flow/checklist idea to my job, which doesn't involve lives.

Yeah, I'd be interested to see how I do with an unplanned failure as well. So far with service-based failures I've only encountered pretty minor things (failed bleed high pressure shutoff valve, etc.) which don't really have much of an impact on the flight. However, I guess that's the beauty of the PMDG system, as the more serious failures tend to be much rarer, just as in real life.

Best regards.