Hello

I wonder i have overlooked any information on operating the BT off carriers, and landing it by the use of arrestor cables.

I have installed the free USS Nimitz by Javier Fernandez (great work - a great standinn for the USS Hornet) and would like to fly "the Doolitle way". I have made no alterations on neighter the BT,the ship or FSX.

Right now im tired of returning to the AC in a rubber dinghy, and would appreciate any help to be able to take-off and land.

(i know all about flying,shortfield TO and Landings though) B)

Take Care

Jens Peter

In order for Doolittle to make the takeoffs from a carrier, he had to lighten the planes, so he removed all armament from the planes, and removed everything that was not important to their mission........

For takeoff, they dropped full flaps, and ran the engines up to full power, then released the brakes, and pulled hard on the yoke. The mission was flown with full tanks and a full load of bombs.

Each aircraft took off while the ship was into the wind and running at max speed.

Hej Trucker,

Thanks for replying ;O)

I have pretty much followed that line as you sggest, and get a 80 miles run, and even with minimizing the payload (kicking out the crew) the chances are two out of ten that you make it. 

So im wondering if you have to make changes in the config file or use a tailhook to make it work, but how ?.

I dont know if you have tried to make the run yourself, but it seems that landing is worse, even if you nearly drop down on the flightdeck at stall speed, you end up swimming. There has to be more in it ?. 

Take Care

JP

Here is a list of what i know about what was removed from the Mitchells.

All machine guns and Ammo, Aromor plating removed and replaced with aluminum.

Removal of the lower gun turret

Installation of de-icers and anti-icers

Steel blast plates mounted on the fuselage around the upper turret

Removal of the liaison radio set (a weight impediment)

Installation of a 160-gallon collapsible neoprene auxiliary fuel tank fixed to the top of the bomb bay, and support mounts for additional fuel cells in the bomb bay, crawlway and lower turret area to increase fuel capacity from 646 to 1,141 U.S. gallons (538–950 imperial gallons; 2,445–4,319 L)

Mock gun barrels installed in the tail cone, and

Replacement of their Norden bombsight with a makeshift aiming sight devised by pilot Capt. Charles Ross Greening and called the "Mark Twain".

It was impossible to land the Mitchell on a carrier, as why the planes were craned onto the Hornet in San Francisco. The planes took off 700 miles from the Japanese homeland, and were to land at airfields in China.

Trucker

This is magnificent :rolleyes: Thank you very much for the information, and it explains a lot, most important that the plane can not be landed on an AC. Hence i conclude that the Doolitle buisness was a "once in a lifetime story". Im relieved ^_^