Sign in to follow this  
lax.slash

A few random questions

Just got a few random questions about FSX and PMDG.

I don't own PMDG yet, but I was doing some research on it and am interested in possibly getting it. I came across a few questions during my research, though...

- Where can I get the file for the FMC that would be in sync with the stock FSX scenery/files/navdata? Is it still available online?

- The planes come with three different engine types... the Rolls Royce, General Electric and the Pratt-Whitney. Are there any differences in those three accept for the models/sounds? I've seen mixed answers on this... I'd like a solid answer.

- Does it come with the PDF files of the manuals/diagrams/etc, or do I really need to pay $300 more for the entire set of manuals than for the plane?

Also got some questions concerning FSX in general.

- Are there any websites, downloads, resources, etc that still have the charts, diagrams, and other related things that are in sync to the FSX Scenery, airports and frequencies?

- What's going on with the real world weather option? I'm always getting the same temperature, same altimeter, same cloud cover, same wind speed/direction, etc. I get no connection errors when downloading it, and I've tried cleaning out my cache. I'm highly doubting that Verizon FiOS has it cached, and I'm also able to access the main website for testing.

I know that I have a lot of questions, and a lot of random questions at that, but it's been a little while since I seriously played with FSX. I wasn't even aware that they shut down ACES and that SP3 was never released.

Thanks for any help/insight, and I apologize for the amount and randomness of these questions.

Real World weather option is iffy at best.  In some regions of the U.S. and other parts of

the world it is working and updating the weather info OK, but I'm  seeing a lot of the

places that I fly having the same weather day-in and day-out.  Sorry, I don't know

that much about PMDG aircraft.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

That's weird. Now that you mention it, on a short flight I did between cities more than once, there were changes in how ATC was clearing me/with the altimeter and other weather. Strange.

Bump.

I did some more research, and I found out that it's possible to use the FSX NAVDATA wit the FMC with some work, but it's not worth it. So, I need to look into how to use updated navdata with FSX.

So, really for now... I guess my only remaining questions are what are the differences other than the model and sound of the three engine types in the PMDG planes, and if the PMDG planes come with the manuals and everything, or I really need to order the $300 set of them.

Presumably you mean the T7. There are a bunch of planes they make, so you'll need to be a little more specific.

There is only one engine on the T7 at their moment. They haven't done the 200ER which need the three engine types yet.

PDF manuals come with the downloads.

There are a couple of places that provide nav data - at a cost of course. Navigraph is one.

If you're after a weather engine - Active Sky Next from Hifi. IMHO anyway.

Online references for a start:

Skyvector.com

Airnav.com

There are plenty of others. Google is your friend.

Just got a few random questions about FSX and PMDG.

I don't own PMDG yet, but I was doing some research on it and am interested in possibly getting it. I came across a few questions during my research, though...

- Where can I get the file for the FMC that would be in sync with the stock FSX scenery/files/navdata? Is it still available online?

- The planes come with three different engine types... the Rolls Royce, General Electric and the Pratt-Whitney. Are there any differences in those three accept for the models/sounds? I've seen mixed answers on this... I'd like a solid answer.

- Does it come with the PDF files of the manuals/diagrams/etc, or do I really need to pay $300 more for the entire set of manuals than for the plane?

Also got some questions concerning FSX in general.

- Are there any websites, downloads, resources, etc that still have the charts, diagrams, and other related things that are in sync to the FSX Scenery, airports and frequencies?

- What's going on with the real world weather option? I'm always getting the same temperature, same altimeter, same cloud cover, same wind speed/direction, etc. I get no connection errors when downloading it, and I've tried cleaning out my cache. I'm highly doubting that Verizon FiOS has it cached, and I'm also able to access the main website for testing.

I know that I have a lot of questions, and a lot of random questions at that, but it's been a little while since I seriously played with FSX. I wasn't even aware that they shut down ACES and that SP3 was never released.

Thanks for any help/insight, and I apologize for the amount and randomness of these questions.

- Generally FMC data will be in sync with stock FSX airports. The main exceptions are runway numbering changes as well as new runways. One example is Chicago O'Hare Airport, which has had a new runway added. Fortunately, there are AFCAD files available for download in the AVSIM library which will update the airports to the current setting. The FMC data will largely be appropriate though regardless since very few changes occur at airports other than new taxiways/terminals which obviously isn't shown in navdata.

- Yes, the Boeing 777 has three engine options - Rolls Royce, P&W, and GE. The PMDG aircraft currently available (Boeing 777-200LR and 777-300ER) only have the GE option in the real world, and have been modeled as such. When the 777-200ER is released, if ever, there will be the three engine options including correct modeling and performance data. While they said the -200ER is released I have my doubts because they have the 747 v2 on their plate and the new X Plane and P3D planes too. Plus, they said the 737-900ER and other 737 derivatives would be released but they recently said that will not be the case.

- PDF files are provided with all of the information that is given in the paper manuals. The paper manuals do however have proper formatting and will look nicer than if you were to just print thousands of PDF pages.

- I redirect you to dash 1, I would download AFCADS to make your airports in sync with the charts and navdata, not the other way around.

- I'm not too familiar with the real world weather option, but there are numerous add-ons, ActiveSkyNext, REX, Opus, etc which will do that for you accurately.

Overall I highly recommend the PMDG 777 and you'll get a ton of enjoyment and use out of it. I would also post your system specifications before you buy, because it is a demanding aircraft and it would be a shame to buy it then be unable to use it.

Hopefully this helps you out!

- Generally FMC data will be in sync with stock FSX airports. The main exceptions are runway numbering changes as well as new runways. One example is Chicago O'Hare Airport, which has had a new runway added. Fortunately, there are AFCAD files available for download in the AVSIM library which will update the airports to the current setting. The FMC data will largely be appropriate though regardless since very few changes occur at airports other than new taxiways/terminals which obviously isn't shown in navdata.

- Yes, the Boeing 777 has three engine options - Rolls Royce, P&W, and GE. The PMDG aircraft currently available (Boeing 777-200LR and 777-300ER) only have the GE option in the real world, and have been modeled as such. When the 777-200ER is released, if ever, there will be the three engine options including correct modeling and performance data. While they said the -200ER is released I have my doubts because they have the 747 v2 on their plate and the new X Plane and P3D planes too. Plus, they said the 737-900ER and other 737 derivatives would be released but they recently said that will not be the case.

- PDF files are provided with all of the information that is given in the paper manuals. The paper manuals do however have proper formatting and will look nicer than if you were to just print thousands of PDF pages.

- I redirect you to dash 1, I would download AFCADS to make your airports in sync with the charts and navdata, not the other way around.

- I'm not too familiar with the real world weather option, but there are numerous add-ons, ActiveSkyNext, REX, Opus, etc which will do that for you accurately.

Overall I highly recommend the PMDG 777 and you'll get a ton of enjoyment and use out of it. I would also post your system specifications before you buy, because it is a demanding aircraft and it would be a shame to buy it then be unable to use it.

Hopefully this helps you out!

- I'll take a look at those AFCAD files. It'd be nice to get some jet ways at airports that are lacking them as well. I'll have to look into some add-on ATC Products from what I understand as well.

- Now, what about the 747? Is it the same deal with that one?

- I'll look into some of the weather add-ons. I've heard good things about HiFi Tech ones.

My graphics card is a 550Ti (2GB DDR5)... it works pretty well with FSX. My biggest issue may be the processor, it's only a 2.6GHz, but it's a Quad Core. 8GB RAM.

That did help a lot. I'm looking forward to getting the PMDG planes. Thanks. :)