Sign in to follow this  
Justin Toposim

Global Mesh

Guest jerrycwo4

I have "Real Scene 2004" mesh for the USA and I am looking for mesh for the rest of the world. I understand Real Scene is 30 meter resampled to 38.2 meter spacing. Just Flight has a new world mesh called, "Global Mesh" with these specs:"Three DVD-ROMs provide new mesh terrain data for the entire globe, most of it sourced directly from NASA's Space Shuttle missions. While the standard scenery in your Flight Simulator world is rendered with elevation points up to 1.2km apart, FS Global SE provides new mesh terrain with points only 76m apart - that's 16 times more detail, no matter where you fly! Most other terrain mesh products stop at 60 degrees North and 56 degrees South (the limit of the Space Shuttle survey), FS Global SE also provides improved terrain data for the areas north and south of these latitudes!"Wouldn't their mesh at 76 meters just be 1/2 as good as Real Scene's at 38.2 meters? If this is correct can you get world mesh as good as Real Scene's 38.2 meter spacing and if so, where can I get it? The mesh from Real Scene is really GREAT!! JerryP.S. I understand no matter how good the mesh is, Flight Sim 2004 can only use a certain amount of it. Does anyone remember what that amount is?

Guest kuma

I dunno if the whole world is available in 38m. FS global is a wonderful product, I bought it and never looked back.

Guest Alan van der Vyver

It is my understanding that 76 metres is the best you can do for the world outside the United States and Canada. NASA's data is obviously higher resolution, but 76 metres is the only publicly available source data at little or no cost.I too have FS Global and have been extremely pleased with it. I would recommend a visit to their web site (http://fsglobal2005.com) before making a decision.regards,Alan.

Guest jerrycwo4

Thanks for the replies on the global mesh. One thought. I have 38 m mesh on the USA so if i install the "Global Mesh" will it leave the USA at 38m or will it change it to the lower 78m that it makes the rest of the world? Thanks, Jerrycwo4

Guest Keyser Soze

Hi,if you buy that special edition that Just Flight offers now, you can choose what parts of the world FS Global 2005 will cover. You just uncheck the mesh for the USA, leave the rest checked and voila, it's done :-)

Guest smokeyd

Supposedly, the downloads needed to update FS Global to the SE version are on their support forum and available to non-SE owners. I'd love to do that. Has anyone been able to log into their forum?Their registration engine won't register me and no one will answer any of my emails.

If I instal FS Global, will it mess up Ultimate Traffic for me? Does it re-locate or re-site parts of the world like airports?Appreciate any guidance, thanks!JS

Guest Alan van der Vyver

My understanding is that it does not re-locate or re-site airports, but in a few cases in South America, it would be a good idea if they were, because their current position is not quite correct and when higher-resolution terrain is added, the results are unrealistic.The same is apparently true of a few lakes, rivers and coastlines dotted around the world. Some lakes appear on a raised mesa or in a crater.The only thing I have personally encountered are occasional streams running over a hump in an otherwise downwards course.When you consider the scope of what is covered, essentially the whole world, I think some errors are inevitable, but that should not detract from the vast overall improvement.I would expect all the major areas to be in very good shape. I have been wandering around out-of-the-way places in Southern Africa and have not found any serious anomolies. I recommend it.regards,Alan

Alan:Thanks for your thoughtful reply. It's helpful to me. I understand exactly what you say.Cheers!JS