Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Photo or Default scenery? What is heavier on your fps?

Guys,

I am still experimenting with the "ideal" settings to use XP10 with PSX.

Presently I use only OSM Europe ( OSM only ), and photoscenery for LISBON from SimHeaven. One thing I noticed was that apparently it takes more time for XP10 to load when the photoscenery is active, but once loaded the ride is smoother than with default scenery ?  Does this make sense?

The smoother the ride the better for me, because I'm injecting the 744 data into XP10, and getting terrain elevation from it into PSX - all thanks to that mighty XView plugin :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Presently I use only OSM Europe ( OSM only ), and photoscenery for LISBON from SimHeaven. One thing I noticed was that apparently it takes more time for XP10 to load when the photoscenery is active, but once loaded the ride is smoother than with default scenery ?  Does this make sense?

Yes it makes sense! I think I wrote about it at some time (but not lately) ...

The reason is, that the default scenery (or similarly HD Mesh Scenery v2 - they are close relatives) needs to draw much more triangles than a photoscenery (derived from the same base mesh!). The reason is simple: with the landclass / generic texture approach we need a lot of overlapping triangles (where different terrain types meet) to make smooth texture blending possible (which only works if you overlap different textures and tell the shaders how to - smoothly - transition from one to the other). But this cost a lot of extra triangles. Whereas a photoscenery has no such transition issues as it just plain - extremely simplified  of course - paints the phototextures "as is" (they don't need such transitions, as they are visually already "finished"). So, you pay with a lot longer loading times (loading all the textures) , but you don't need "waste" performance on triangle overdraw. ... So, there is always a trade-off  (there is no such thing as "free beer" here).

Yes, the same here, and it makes sense. Andras Fabian explained it in another post, and it was due to the fact that X-Plane doesn't need to blend different textures together to form the landscape and already has the texture (i.e. Photo image) set.

Edit: Andras actually replied exactly the same time as me ;-)

Hehe!  Two answers!!! Thank you guys :-)

I think I will probably invest on an SSD someday, and have the system and XP10.30 on it... 

Meanwhile I will probably go ahead and install a few more photosceneries for some of the airports around the World I visit more often with my 744 ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...