Sign in to follow this  
kekelekou

Aliasing issue in VC

Hello!

I have just moved from FSX to P3Dv2.3 in order to get a smoother sim. My PC is way below the state of the art, but I have found settings to get 35fps min. Of course the result would be unacceptable for many in terms of autogen and textures, but it's OK for me.

But I still have an aliasing problem with VC and instruments. The "outer" world is fine, but the needles and the instruments' textures in most planes' VC are a jaggies fest! This happens with both native (Carenado Bonanza, Extra 300S) or add-ons (QualityWIngs Avro RJ or Area51 U-2S). Quite surprisingly, the native Maule is perfectly fine!

Does anyone have an idea about what could cause such issue?

Here are my settings :

E6550 CORE 2 DUO@2.33Ghz, MSI P35 NEO2-FR, GTX650 1GB DDR5, TWINX CORSAIR DDR2 4X1024MO, SAMSUNG T133 300GB 7200RPM 8MB, LG L1954TQ-PF 19” 1280x1024x32, GREEN POWER 400W

Graphics settings in game : FXAA off, MSAA 8 samples, Anisotropic 8x, Textures resolution : 1024x1024, no tessellation, native resolution in full screen, No vsync, unlimited frame rate.

Nvidia inspector : All application-controlled. Lod bias clamped. No Vsync.

(I'm not home, but I'll post screenshots as soon as possible)

keke,

it's related to the "quality" of the instrument graphicelements (some planes are really terrible, like the bonanza..).

The only way to remove this aliasing of the instruments and readings is to enable Sparsegridsupersampling Antialiasing (SGSSAA) or not to use these "bad" planes (well, not really a solution).

In NvidiaInspector: 4*SGSSAA - nothing else needed in NI - Set Antialiasing to "4" in P3D.

No other in P3D working AA-Method is able to antialias those graphicelements!

The downside is the huge amount of GPU-power for this - maybe your GPU can't handle it acceptable (i'm using a GTX 660 and it's on the edge...).

That's because this SGSSAA is done for the whole screen allthough it's only needed for the Instruments and readings

Disabling volumetric fog may help a bit. Reducing shadows to airplane and terrain only too.

--- some intelligent programmer out there to enable it just for the panel ? ;-) or Developers who give us "better" graphicelements related to this problem? ------

(i guess Nvidia cant do anything about it as long as SGSSAA is needed to smoothen this edges - 4*downsampling needs power....)

You may try 2*SGSSAA for better performance, but it makes no sense in my eyes, because it sucks power but doesn't really smooth the edges..

What you can do is to stay with the aliasing and "smoothen" it by disabling the "dynamic head movement" by setting some entries to "0" in the .cfg.

The other solution would be to buy a more powerfull GPU (GTX 660 is on the edge - better get a more powerful one if you are willing to buy).

edit: and yes, as spirit wrote, in addition you have to test MipMap VC Panels On/Off too (it behaves different in different circumstances - so just test it...)

Yes it's a pain in the.. Quite a few objects need SGSS. Bridges, non-default instuments etc. But 4xSGSS with lots of clouds brings my 780Ti to 15-20 FPS in 1920 x 1080 and 10-12 in 5940 x 1080, which of course is useless.

If only LM/Nvidia would be able to enable SGSS for certain objects but not clouds.