Sign in to follow this  
ematheson

Shipping for FS9 and the OSM project

I'm sure you've seen the thread on Shipping in the FS9 forum - for convenience, I've linked it at the bottom of this post. To summarize, a massive ship-placement file was created by Johan_Dees using a real-wold database of ship locations. Sadly, this file has some major limitations: the FS9 world doesn't match the real-world very well and some ships are double-placed, resulting in stacked objects.

There is no easy way to fix the second problem - that must be done on a case-by-case basis. However, you, working on the OSM project, have an opportunity to fix the first problem. Since you are already processing huge amounts of shoreline/land-/water-mass data, it may be possible to remedy the first problem (inland ships) by creating a bulk object exclude using the land-mass data you already have. This would probably be placed below all other layers so that objects called by autogen and special buildings can still be drawn. (I'm thinking positioning it and the shipping package itself at maybe third-to-bottom in the scenery library - or so.)

Of course, I don't know the issues that may come up in trying to create those excludes, but it is an idea that might be worth considering...?

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/352953-ai-shipping-do-complete-packages-exist/

Hello!

I am familiar with the shipping project,yes. Problem with excludes is that no matter how low you dump them in the scenery library, they kill autogen anyway...but the most serious problem is that they have to be rectangular areas!

I could attempt something if I had the shipping database in a shapefile, then I could simply delete all inland ships and recompile a BGL file..

signature.jpg

Agreed, the issue with the squareness of the excludes is somewhat important - but there is no reason to exclude autogen. You can create an exclude in SBuilder that only excludes library objects... when placed below all the default scenery, you should be able to exclude ONLY the ships, without harming autogen or any default objects.