Sign in to follow this  
flyinion

Setting up the NGX and joystick on Win8.1

Hi guys, have a question about setting up my joystick (Saitek X52) for the NGX on Win8.1.  I've confirmed that I do randomly have controller dropouts on 8.1 even with the power options set properly so I was going to use FSUIPC to configure the stick instead of the Saitek profiler software.  I'm concerned though because I've seen a number of posts saying the NGX doesn't like it when axis' are configured through FSUIPC.  Obviously I can't leave them configured through FSX though because that won't fix the disappearing act.  

I've noticed there are two options in FSUIPC for handling axis' though.  I can either send it to FSUIPC and calibrate it through there, or I can send it to FSX as some axis/control.  Is there a correct/better choice for the NGX?  Once when the controller dropped out I did a test and sent the throttle axis directly to FSX as a throttle and it restored throttle control (not sure which plane I was in at the time though).  I already have my stick calibrated in the windows joystick panel.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'm a relative noob with the NGX but have been flying it with controls assigned via FSUIPC (but mostly not calibrated -- the one exception is my ailerons which are a bit wacky and I need FSUIPC calibration to fix them) with no problems. The PMDG intro manual goes into this and pretty much says its OK to assign in FSUIPC but calibration is not recommended. That said, I've been watching the Angle of Attack NGX training and they just go ahead and calibrate all control inputs with FSUIPC and they say it works fine. If you prefer FSUIPC calibration I'd say give it a go and if you have problems then try sending to FSX.

I've done this with both Win7 and Win8.1 and it's been OK on both.

I'm a relative noob with the NGX but have been flying it with controls assigned via FSUIPC (but mostly not calibrated -- the one exception is my ailerons which are a bit wacky and I need FSUIPC calibration to fix them) with no problems. The PMDG intro manual goes into this and pretty much says its OK to assign in FSUIPC but calibration is not recommended. That said, I've been watching the Angle of Attack NGX training and they just go ahead and calibrate all control inputs with FSUIPC and they say it works fine. If you prefer FSUIPC calibration I'd say give it a go and if you have problems then try sending to FSX.

I've done this with both Win7 and Win8.1 and it's been OK on both.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot this weekend.  I figured it would work ok but wanted to make sure I was aware of any potential issues before jumping in.  It's not that I prefer to use FSUIPC, I lose the ability to assign values to my stick depending on what the mode switch is in because FSUIPC doesn't read that like the Saitek profiler software does, but if I want to be able to have a working joystick after tabbing out of FSX then I need to.  I don't actually do it often since I try to print out charts and stuff beforehand but I still do once in a while to look up something online.  Once I tab out it's about a 70/30 ratio of if the stick will go poof  and leave me without a controller in FSX or if it's still working.