Sign in to follow this  
McGraw

Maxed out my 970 this evening (DSR 4x + SGSS 4x + 16x AF)

Up until recently I'd been using 4x DSR and 8x AF in DX10 at 1080 (is it 1080i when vsynced at 30hz?..my TV doesn't switch to i mode so I assume it's still 1080p) seeing max GFX usage of 55% so I knew I had plenty of headroom but it looked good enough, although some shimmering remained and meant I could tweak for the CPU without worrying about the GPU.

So I added 4x SGSS and 16x AF and it looks beautiful. Performance seems pretty good too and I've only lost 2 or 3 fps when flying in FSX thunderstorm theme. GPU usage now at 99%.

No more time tweak tonight but I'm interested to see what happens if I drop the quality of AF and SGSS both together as well as separately both for performance and visual quality. Then I'll lose the DSR and see what that does.

Will report back with further findings, particularly when I finally get round to trialling ASN (trying to get everything running spot on first before I grab the demo).

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

16x AF doesn't cost anything on modern GPUs and hasn't for some time. 16x AF should be your minimum (and only) setting

Thanks, yes I realise that but was sure I'd read somewhere that certain combinations of AF settings at 16x were FPS unfriendly.

I realised after I posted this that I changed a lot of other stuff like adding MSAA to clouds so I'll need to do a lot more digging to find out the settings that make best use of my card without taking to much of a performance hit.

Card is overclocked to 1500/4900 currently so I've obviously overdone it.