Sign in to follow this  
ark

Aspen-Pitkin (KASE) Back Course Problem

The I-PKN Localizer at KASE is a Back Course only (there is no Front Course) nav aid used just for departures and the missed approach for the LOC(I-ASE)/DME or VOR/DME circling approaches to Runway 15.  The I-PKN antenna is located about 4 miles SE of the airport on top of an 11,000 ft mountain. In use, you fly the back course outbound and thus, as noted on the approach plates, CDI sensing is normal, i.e., you turn towards the CDI needle. The purpose of I-PKN is to provide very accurate guidance (more accurate than a VOR would provide) because of the hazardous terrain. And by flying it outbound, the width of the beam is narrowest where the terrain is closest. It was implemented as a back course so the CDI sensing would be "normal" (pilot friendly) since the mountains provide little room for any confusion.

The problem is I-PKN seems to be implemented in FSX as a Front Course, and thus CDI sensing is "reversed" when flying the departures or missed approach procedures. Is it feasible (ie, not to difficult) to fix this -- I'm hoping it would just take changing some parameter from "front to back", etc? If so, how would one go about it -- I don't even know where to start looking.

I searched for a "fix" for this problem, but have not been able to find anything where a FSX solution for the I-PKN back course issue is mentioned.

Thx,

Al

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well, I figured out how to fix the sensing on the I-PKN back course by using ADE (Airport Design Editor) to redefine the LOC front course heading as 303 degs, but haven't been able to figure out how to eliminate the depiction (feather) of the associated front course which doesn't exist, and add the back course feather on map displays like in Plan-G or the FSX flight planner.

Moderators:  This thread should probably be moved to the Scenery Forum.

Thx,

Al