Sign in to follow this  
Cactus521

Booting into Safe Mode - Tip

Rarely do I need to boot into Safe Mode (Vista) but I had to do it the other day to disable some software that was hogging memory.  When I booted, it would freeze at CRCDISK.SYS and not proceed any further.  I researched several places but did not get a definite solution regarding the issue.  Finally, I did a logged boot into a normal startup and took note of the driver that loaded right after CRCDISK.SYS.  I saw that it was my Epson printer driver.  Since I usually leave the printer turned off, I chose to turn it on for the boot into Safe Mode and was able to get to the desktop.  Obviously in safe mode, printer support was required and the O/S was not detecting a printer present.

Reason why I am posting it is many solutions just suggested either a reformat or some issue with CRCDISK.SYS itself.  If others ever have this problem, it's usually the driver that loads next when safe mode fails.

Best Regards,

John

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks for the tip. I'm a bit of a technophobe, so everything that happens inside this box under my desk is magic to me.