Sign in to follow this  
menders5401

Building a slave PC - mobo & CPU

Hi,

I'm looking to build a slave PC to run alongside my main PC running FSX. The idea is to run software like Radar contact, FSC and ASN plus possibly some gauges on the slave PC over a network.

Looking around it doesn't seem that I will need a particularly powerful PC to act a slave but I would appreciate hearing from those with actual experience of running a slave PC.

I can use quite a few components from an old PC so I am just looking to purchase a CPU, motherboard and memory bundle as I have everything else I will need including a nVidia 560GTX graphics board.

I have a budget of up to approximately £300 but would ideally spend rather less than that. I have seen a bundle available for about £160 being an Asus Micro-ATX H81Plus motherboard, Intel Pentium Dual Core G3258 3.2GHz CPU and 8gb Corsair Vengeance memory. Would that motherboard and CPU provide enough grunt, or would a more powerful system be required? Any thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm looking to build a slave PC to run alongside my main PC running FSX. The idea is to run software like Radar contact, FSC and ASN plus possibly some gauges on the slave PC over a network.

My advice is to buy a cheap laptop and use that as your client PC, takes up nearly no space, no need for for a seperate monitor ect.

I am running FSC, ASN and radar contact on an old IBM Thinkpad 1.8ghz dual core laptop and it works very well.

Prior to that I was using an old 1.8ghz single core and even that coped fine.

Radar Contact runs much better networked (WideFS) than it does when on the same machine as FSX, Having FSCommander visible makes getting around airports much easier.

Never paid more than £90 on Ebay for my laptops and they serve the purpose well, useful away from the simpit as well.

My advice is to buy a cheap laptop and use that as your client PC, takes up nearly no space, no need for for a seperate monitor ect.

I am running FSC, ASN and radar contact on an old IBM Thinkpad 1.8ghz dual core laptop and it works very well.

Prior to that I was using an old 1.8ghz single core and even that coped fine.

Many thanks for the thoughts Glynn. I hadn't thought of a laptop. Definitely food for thought and reassuring that I won't need to use anything very powerful for the purpose.