Sign in to follow this  
ILEllis

AI/Multiplayer Contrails

Just a few quick questions, I have a contrails program for FSX which I enjoy very much when flying on VATSIM because it makes spotting other aircraft more realistic. I do not have this capability currently in P3D when flying on VATSIM so I'm looking for something to update this capability in both FSX and P3D and maybe this is it?

1. Will PrecipitFX fix the dual contrail (offset contrail) problems associated in either FSX or P3D?

2. Will PrecipitFX prevent the "smoke trail" down below your aircraft nusiance?

2. Will PrecipitFX work on both multiplayer and AI aircraft?

3. Is there a manual or PDF that can be looked at so one can decipher what can be configured in PrecipitFX such as contrail length, or maybe a minimum altitude for contrail display? I would like to see pictures of the interface.

Thanks for any advice!

Just a few quick questions, I have a contrails program for FSX which I enjoy very much when flying on VATSIM because it makes spotting other aircraft more realistic. I do not have this capability currently in P3D when flying on VATSIM so I'm looking for something to update this capability in both FSX and P3D and maybe this is it?

1. Will PrecipitFX fix the dual contrail (offset contrail) problems associated in either FSX or P3D?

2. Will PrecipitFX prevent the "smoke trail" down below your aircraft nusiance?

2. Will PrecipitFX work on both multiplayer and AI aircraft?

3. Is there a manual or PDF that can be looked at so one can decipher what can be configured in PrecipitFX such as contrail length, or maybe a minimum altitude for contrail display? I would like to see pictures of the interface.

Thanks for any advice!

Hi there!

1. There is no double contrail with PrecipitFX on P3D. I never saw the problem on FSX.
  2. This bug is hardcoded in FSX, we sort of went around the problem by putting a time limit on the effect, so when you takeoff and the bug occurs, the effect will disappear by itself after a few minute.
  3. PrecipitFX does not affect AI Aircraft yet. This is a popular request and we will take it into account in future updates.
  4. You can have a look at the interface in the "Every aircraft, Simply." section of the product page. There are no configurations available for the effects. We take your feedback into consideration and again, this might influence future updates.

Thank you for your questions!

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

I appreciate the insight into the program Keven. Tweaking the contrail effects is not a major concern as long as the effects are somewhat realistic. As mentioned my older program does allow a minimum altitude to be set to "trigger" the contrails overriding the automated trigger, I never really asked how you trigger the contrails in your program but a manual trigger would still be appreciated. My concern here is when flying on a network like VATSIM to help me spot other aircraft, especially during the day time hours, which makes the contrails being used with AI/Multiplayer aircraft a biggy (in my humble opinion B)  ). Contrails are about the only way to spot aircraft flying VFR during day time hours without using the simulator "labels" which is totally unrealistic and I don't use the labels to keep it real. I didn't mention it but the duration of the contrails is another factor. Just as in real life the contrails tend to hang around for quite some time dissipating ever so slow, and the program I use now does this somewhat well. Thanks for listening and I look forward to trying out your software.