Sign in to follow this  
HH

Question from a P3D Newbie

Hi there,

I recently bought P3Dv2 on an academic license. I do not have a high-end machine by today’s standard but it does live up to most of the recommended system requirements posted on LM's site.

I have a 27″ iMac (mid 2011) with the following configuration:

CPU: 3,1GHz quad-core Intel i5 2400 with 6MB L3 buffer

RAM: 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 memory

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB GDDR5

HDD: 1TB 7200 rpm

Question: Is there any hope for me to get a smooth and relatively good looking simulation experience with P3Dv2 with my system? Could it be tuned right for it? I'm not about to buy a new system any time soon. However, when I am, I am going to build it myself and make it a dedicated simulation system.

I am running Windows 7 64-bit on a separate partition (Bootcamp), so when I run the simulator it runs as a native PC.

I can run FSX really well on this system with the screen's native resolution of 2560×1440.

I really want to love P3D as FSX is a dead platform. However, my FPS is really low inside the cockpit of the default airplanes; 9 to 14… 20 outside the plane.

I have yet to go through the tuning guide in the learning center.

This weekend I reinstalled Windows 7 and I'm currently setting up FSX using a certain FSXBible from another forum. If P3D is to much for my system I shall get e refund and stay with FSX for now.

Cheers,