Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

PPL studies NAVIGATION. Dead Mental Reckoning, Clock Code!

I have just learn't the MDR chapter of navigation and i thought i grasped the basics, but i was wrong! Once i got the mock questions at the end i didn't have a clue. It seems i'm lost with the clock code method.

Here the question and answers...

You plan to fly a cross country flight at 2,000 feet at a true airspeed of 120 knots. Your track is 270* (TRUE) and the wind is from 225* (TRUE) at 24 knots using the mental dead reckoning clock code, what true heading would you steer and what would be your magnetic heading if the local magnetic variaton is 4* west?

A. 258 TRUE 262 MAGNETIC

B. 261 TRUE 265 MAGNETIC

C. 261 TRUE 257 MAGNETIC

D. 279 TRUE 283 MAGNETIC

The answer is B

I can work out the drift angle 60 / 120 true AS = 0.5 X 24 knots wind = 12

Now this is where i get confused when applying it to the clock code? Can someone help please!

Vernon Howells

I'll have a go...

270 - 225 = 45 degrees difference

Clock code as I understand it

15 minutes past the hour (3 o'clock position) -> 1/4 of the clock

30 minutes past the hour (6 o'clock position) -> 1/2 of the clock

45 minutes past the hour (9 o'clock position) -> 3/4 of the clock

60 minutes (12 o'clock position) -> ALL of the clock

As the difference between the track and heading is 45 degrees, you multiply the max drift (12 as you've calculated) by 3/4 = 9 degrees which is the drift you require to get the answer.

variation west -> magnetic best so add 4 degrees to get magnetic heading.

Hope that helps.

Right think i have got it, check out Q 4, 5 ?

Do you always have to takeaway track heading away from wind heading?

In the book it never mentioned that?

Vernon Howells

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Hangar Chat". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.