Sign in to follow this  
marcus300zx

New from Bristol UK

Hi All, I'm Marcus from the UK.

I used to Fly FS years ago, but as I wasn't very good I stopped after a short time.  I wanted to get back into it about a year ago as I spent a lot of time watching Youtube and found ILS landing which seem to fix my main issue with FS (I.e I could not land a plane if my life depended on it).  Problem was I could not find a copy of FS for sale anywhere apart from Ebay and for the age of the game the price seemed a bit steep.

Then I spotted that FSX had come to Steam, so I bought it (a week before it went on 80% off special offer LOL).

I spent the first 2 months just flying the default planes and learning how to take off and land VFR, IFR and ILS approaches, didn't really fly the big boys mainly the caravan.  I did move onto the 737 with an upgraded VC, but felt it was too big for my little flights across Europe.  Decided I wanted a Biz Jet so downloaded a free on (Citation X), which I loved.

After deciding I really Liked Biz Jets I wanted to upgrade the experience so decided to look for a paware biz jet, which is how I found this site as I was trying to find out which ones were best and which ones would run on my windows 8.1 FS-SE Set up.

I had 3 planes on my shortlist, Eaglesoft Citation X, Flight 1 Mustang and Caranedo Pheenom 100.

Ended up with the Pheenom as its the only one of the 3 that's seems to work fine with 8.1 and SE as far as I can see.

Its a great plane, though I have been having issues with my ILS as so far 50% of the time it does not pick up the glidescope, so I need to work out what I am doing wrong as I could land ILS 100% on non payware planes.

I might have cracked it last night, but I need to retest to see if it was luck or something I actually did.  

Hey Marcus, 

Welcome and nice story! I similar to you used FS9 about 5-6 years ago pretty much all the time and after a break am looking to get back into it. Your story reminds me of my early days in the sim when flying biz jets and light aircraft around Europe - a great way to start out. Stick with it man as the more you perfect it the bigger the desire to move up and try other aircraft and different routes.... 

Good Luck ;)

Hello Marcus,

First things first, can we see some pics of your 300ZX? :smile:   and more importantly, welcome!

I hope you're still enjoying your Avros and are getting used to the airliner flight operation.   My one piece of advice would be, having read that you always tend to use autoland, it's a good idea to start disconnecting the autopilot at 1,000' on approach so you start to develop your hand flying and landing skills.

Bristol's a great city, used to spend a lot of time time with work, coming down on EZY565 from Newcastle (A319) and returning on EZY 568.   :smile:

Hi Craig,

The 300zx was unfortunatley replaced by Kids LOL  but here is what I did have

DSCF0340.jpg

and previously

IM000623.jpg

I do normal ILS landing in my Phenom, but after 30 or so I still either land rubbish or over flare and start ascending again 

Nice :smile: .... I'm a BMW nut myself, but that is a nice machine!

What control hardware are you using with FS?   I started with a naff joystick and when I upgraded to a decent one, my landings magically improved.    They improved further still when I bought my first yoke.

Flaring is certainly difficult when you're new to virtual flying (and real flying).  The thing to remember is that you're not rigidly pulling back, nor forward on the controls to flare - it's a balancing game of short, sharp forward and aft movements to get the aircraft to sit above the runway for a moment, then smoothly (and in a controlled manner) descend and touch town.

When it "comes", it's really rewarding - so stick with it.

My mate is a BMW nut, well E36's.  He currently has 2 an Immaculate Low Mileage 328i Coupe and an Alpina B3 3.2 4 Door.  

I have owned 3 BM's a E32 740i, a E30 325i Touring and an E36 318is M-Sport Coupe.  Currently have a CLK 320 which is picked up for £750.00 off ebay, but plan to change it to a CLK 430 sometime this year.

Back to FSX, i will keep practicing my landing and hopefully i will get better at it.  I tend to do short flights so i land more often.