Sign in to follow this  
RobbieHe

high and fast approach?

I am getting married on June 12 and am going to Acapulco on my honeymoon on June 13th, and I am getting very excited. I have three take offs and landings to look forward to for each leg of the trip! And, obviously, that is not all. I have two good layovers each way to look forward to as well. The thing about it is that my future wife has no idea that I went out of my way to make sure we had layovers at each of the airports to get some major spotting action in. I am sure that at some point during the layovers I will have to look at her and say, "It's a pity that we have to sit around this airport when we should be walking on the beach and getting ready to enjoy candle lit dinners" (all the while grinning inside like a Cheshire cat), so I made sure to enhance the romance of this trip by making sure we have seats just behind the wing so that we can watch the flap settings together while I explain as much as I can to her of the intricacies of what the pilot is doing and why he (or she) is changing to a particular setting on take offs and landings. With the addition of some massive wishful thinking on my part, I am sure that being a typical woman, she will enjoy all of these activities very much. What do ya think? We will be flying from Valdosta Georgia to ATL at 6AM on an ASA CRJ and will have a four hour layover in ATL prior to the trip to the Mexico City international airport on a Delta 757. From there its a couple of hours until boarding to Acapulco on an AreoMexico 757. While most people try and avoid airports like the plague, most guys (and perhaps a few women) like us (which is probably all 13,000 plus of my good friends here at AVSIM), could think of few things more enjoyable than trying to find a good spot in a terminal to watch our favorite heavies push back, taxi, take off and land for a few hours, honeymoon or not.Oh yeah, the question... Can I expect some good fast landings and lengthy take off rolls give that the Mexico City airport is 7400 feet above sea level? Robb

Guest jdu

Congradulations!!! Just remeber all the things you leaving behind, notably free time and money. (Which is why I'm staying single!!) As for the landings, it all depends on the weather, if it is really hot, probably, due to the air desity being less. (Study up on that, it will be another thing you can impress her with!) Have fun! (Like I need to tell you that!:-roll)

I know my free time flight simming will be significantly reduced now. Awhile back, I was taking a sim flight and everything had gone just right and just as the controller was trying to line me up on final, my future wife asked while holding up a shirt, "How does this look with what I am wearing?" I could not look at her and get the aircraft into position to lock on the ILS and attend to her a the same time. Needless to say, I could not finish the flight (two hours wasted!). Oh well!I was thinking that being so high up in altitude (7400) and being that the air is thinner up there, I would expect the plane to have to land at a much faster airspeed and use more runway to take off again. I will check into the other factors you mentioned.Robb