Sign in to follow this  
ls25

Looking for an IRS navigation tutotial...

Hey all. I have searched Vatsim, the internet, & this forum with no luck in an attempt to find any quality information on navigating via IRS/IRU system alone. I have several aircraft that I think would be fun to use this, if I am able to learn the total package & not just the basic understanding I have now.Thanks in advance...

Guest Voodoo

Hello Larry,I assume you are looking for an INS (Intertial Navigation System) not an IRS (Inertial Reference System). As far as I know, IRS is only used for position tracking while you can use an INS for navigating from A to B based on postion tracking.The best and only experience with an INS I have made so far was with Benoit Gaurants A300 panel in combination with the CIVA INS, which is freeware and in my eyes an excellent piece of software.It comes with a very good tutorial, which I recommed to fly in order to get used with the CIVA INS and learn the techniques, and a few more manuals including how to install it in every other aircraft panel.Here's the link: http://www.simufly.com/ins/A flightplan which includes lat. and longt. coordinates wouldn't be bad either nor some enroute charts for long flights in order to update the position via VORs.best regards,Christianhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/chrismo/sigsky.jpgVacation: wasted time between 2 flights!

Christian,Thanks! & yes, I did mean INS, but being at the 29hr mark to be awake when the post was made, I am not surprised I typed IRS. So, I am ready to go to bed now. Thanks for the information & link, I will look at them in about 5hrs.

Check my site on my server, see the articles..Have fun!Johan[A HREF=http://jdserver.no-ip.com]Personal Server[/A]or..http://62.238.33.10A LITTLE LESS CONVERSATION, AND A LITTLE MORE ACTION PLEASE!

Guest av84fun

<>Hire a good accountant!(-:

Guest Voodoo

>Christian,>>Thanks! & yes, I did mean INS, but being at the 29hr mark to>be awake when the post was made, I am not surprised I typed>IRS. So, I am ready to go to bed now. Thanks for the>information & link, I will look at them in about 5hrs.>>Larry,I guess when you read this, you already had your 5 hours of sleep, so I hope they were tight and you could gather some energy again. I don't know if I would have been able to post anything at all after 29 hours being awake.You won't be disappointed from the CIVA INS, especially when you like the Level-D 767 (your signature :) ), you have to align it with your current position first, which will take a few minutes, insert the first nine waypoints of your route (I normally start at the end of the STAR). It will keep you busy while flying, especially when you have to update the position.From my point of view, I had a great time with it flying online on Vatsim supposed I had prepared my flight carefully.Enjoy it!Christianhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/chrismo/sigsky.jpgVacation: wasted time between 2 flights!

Guest Divergent Phugoid

>>I assume you are looking for an INS (Intertial Navigation System) not >>an IRS (Inertial Reference System). As far as I know, IRS is only used >>for position tracking while you can use an INS for navigating from A to >>B based on postion tracking.INS is the usual description of the old style mechanical gyro platform, requiring rate integrating gyros to keep the gyro platform level and to sense E/W and N/S accelerations.IRS is the usual term for modern fixed platform systems that typically use Ring Laser Gyros instead of the old mechanical ones. These systems are also called "Strapdown IRU" because the plaform is fixed to the airframe and doesn't have to kept level.

Thanks for the great information. After a bit of sleep, and some time with the kids, I am going to continue reading through the CIVA INS manuals. I am very interested in completing a flight, transatlantic via INS navigation alone.Thanks all.