Sign in to follow this  
TheNerd

Trans-Pacific Flight... In a Solar Plane!

Hi all!

Just wanted to share this cool bit of info I found in my blink feed:

http://technology.inquirer.net/42045/pilot-to-fly-solar-plane-across-pacific-for-5-days-5-nights

In case you haven't heard about it, these two guys are attempting to travel around the world in a solar-powered airplane. However, they had a little delay in China. They started in Abu Dhabi in March and slowly flew their way to Nanjing, China. Their next stop will be in Hawaii and will take 5 days if I read right. Their cruising altitude will be about 30,000 feet and they will experience temperatures ranging from extreme coldness to extreme heat (I assume it doesn't have A/C...). The aircraft is too tall to stand in, so they pretty much have to lay down the whole way.

What does the Avsim community think? Is solar energy a feasible alternative to fossil fuels in aircraft in the future?