Sign in to follow this  
hjsmuc

X-Plane UDP crash

Hello fellow simmers,

After yesterday's MS updates for Win 8.1 X-Plane crashes upon start with the following error:

upd_socket_read udp_init failed!

This is almost certainly because you are already running another

copy of X-Plane or EFS-App on the SAME computer... opps!

I never had this error before. My network setup is unchanged. Port entries in the preferences file are ok. Logfile shows

0:00:00.000 I/NET: Ethernet 192.168.178.35 - 

0:00:00.000 I/NET: Local Area Connection* 11 2001:0:5ef5:79fb:2c0e:3063:af75:a86 - 

then the above error.

No second task of X-Plane is running. Restarting the computer does not help. The firewall exceptions for X-Plane are set. Ipv6 is active. I also uninstalled the updates from MS, did a full reinstall through Steam and tried a second install of the X-Plane demo, to no avail.

There are older reports of this error on the web but all remedies mentioned there do nothing. 

Out of ideas now.  :( 

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Hans

Hans

I finally was able to solve the problem: After uninstalling the USB drivers for my kindle XP 64bit starts up again as normal. Also removed VPN client software but no problems after I reinstalled it so it looks as if the driversuite/toolbox for the kindle caused the error.

Hans

Good investigative work, Hans! I like it when people post actual solutions as opposed to staying silent or just leaving with 'nevermind, I solved it (but won't tell how).' ^_^

Re: the actual issue: Interesting dependency between USB drivers and XP thinking it was already running. I would have assumed that the VPN stuff was to blame in some way.