Sign in to follow this  
woomera

Aircraft exterior textures disappear

Hello,

In FSX SP2 my exterior textures disappear when I hit "s" (spot view) on keyboard or a dedicated button on my Logitech Extreme 3d. It seems to depend on the aircraft whether that happens or not; for example Carenado works okay, Aerosoft Airbus series disappears almost every time. I set up my GTX 980 using the Jan 2012 Nvidia Inspector guide, selecting "8xS." Not really what the culprit is. P3D seems to work perfectly i.e. no disappearing exterior textures.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

Jerry Preston

Airmail 8  

What you're seeing is essentially the textures aren't being loaded in time that you are in view of them. A common issue in older games known as texture popping.

There are certain ways to reduce this in FSX. Locking your FPS at 30 and setting up your FSX.cfg according to this guide should help. It essentially matches the cfg settings to your graphics card. FSX loads things slowly, as it was designed for graphics cards back in 2006, not 2015.

Watching certain videos of P3D on Youtube, texture popping does still happen, but only if the person has some really high settings. DirectX 11 uses multithreaded rendering, while DirectX 9 and 10 for FSX doesn't. Prepar3D also has hardware tesselation to improve terrain paging, so this may also help with the loading of textures as well. 

Hi Jeff,

I reduced the frame rate as you suggested...seems much better now.

Thanks!

Jerry Preston

Did you modify your CFG settings to match your GTX 980 according to the guide on Simforums I linked? That should really help speed up texture loading.