Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Yeeehaw! I got my medical!

Guest Johnny

To all my fellow friends here! Just wanted you to know that in the mail today (01JUL04) was the notice from the FAA medical department that I have recieved my issuance. It reads in "lawyer speak" but it appears that it is a 6 year issuance but I have to give all my medical test, and a doctors note every year. Again I am not sure what it really says except that I am medicaly certified with my 3rd class medical! ... and may I say not a moment too soon either! ;) I have 18 hours of flight time and I am at the lessone for the solo coming this weekend. Talk about timing. I have lessons on Sunday and Monday and both of them are for solos so if my instructor deems me ready then I am going solo ----->I took a joyride flight today, not doing a lesson just to take a flight with my instructor and my best friend and we flew into KTUS Tucson Internation. It was only a whopping 24 mile each way from Marana AVQ but I wanted to kind of repeat my lesson 10 (going into controlled airspace) as I choked on the communications the very first time I talked to Approach. Not today however... I was on the mark and ready for them. The even switched the runways on me at the last moment and I did a totally kick-butt forward slip to lose altitude to setup for right base 21 into KTUS. I even managed to stay centerline on the runway after rollout. Apparently I have been having trouble with my rollouts. My approaches, and touchdowns have been perfect, but my rollouts were terrible. In speaking with another pilot I was able to figure it out. I wasn't turning my yoke into the wind after my mains were on the ground and I was getting pushed sideways. See, I fly around 16:00 and the temperatures have been 100+ and the winds have been really bad. Usually around 10-15 kts gusting up to 21 kts at times. Let me say this, I am great at crosswind takeoffs, and approaches! Now I will be great at the landings since I figured out what I was doing wrong. Both of my landings today where down the center line. I communicated everything the way I was supposed to and my instructor was really pleased with my performance!However I wanted to let you all to know that it only took me a month to get this all done, so for those of you out there with a medical issue don't fret. If it is something that you can work through and your doctor supports you then go for it! My diabetes (hyperglycemia) and my hypertension both of which I take medication for are under control with the help of my doc and he was able to show through the lab work that I am just as healthy as the next guy with the treatments he has me on. So keep your heads up!Oh yeah, and if you are flying in the Tucson area, watch out for that crazy guy flying the 172N... JohnnyKTUS/AVQ

Guest ba747heavy

Awesome Johnny! Good to know the FAA gets it right once in a while :D

Guest metamarty

Great to hear they allowed your medical. In the US the medical service looks at what you are capable of, instead of what you aren't capable of. Here in Europe, things are different. Everything goes by the book. It doesn't matter if you are fit to fly; if you fail their rules, you're out. I myself have great vision, as tested by the optometrist, I have around 100% vision with 90 to 100% depth perception, yet I fail their +5 dioptry difference between 2 eyes rule, so I'm out. Even if you make a small correction to your eyesight by laser surgery, you're grounded for life. It's time we adopt the US system! Let people prove what their capable of and let them have their fun, we're not talking about class 1 ATP!

Hi, Johnny. I am glad to hear about your medical. Remember, the ultimate responsibility remains with you. Make sure if you change medications, even if they are FAA approved, that you know how it affects you, on the ground and in the air, specially at higher altitudes, night etc. I always recommend that the first flight be with another pilot or an instructor. Never get in an airplane if you are not 100% sure you know how mental and or physical changes affect your flying. Good luck. TV

Guest Johnny

Yeah, I have been talking with my DOC a lot about all of this. The cool thing is I have no side effects nor reactions to the medicine. I ride motorcycles (street, and very fast) and my balance and reaction time has not been affected by any of this at all. I thank God that what I do have wrong with me is not very serious at all. I am glad that my diabetes is hyper and not hypo. I think if I was hypo then I wouldn't temp flying but since I do not have issues with the diabetes and really never have then I feel comfortable that I am not a threat in the air. The most it has ever done with me is give me a headache and that was always around Christmas time when I indulged in the goodies! Not anymore. I am straight shooting my health to keep in peak physical shape and show that my lab reports are at their finest! According to my issuance I have to maintain a 9.9% and I currently run 6.6% down from 7% so I am improving everyday.Thanks for everyones support, oh yeah and for letting me babble on and on too!You guys are great~JohnnyKTUS/AVQ

Glad to hear you made it--didn't realize we were nearly neighbors... I'll look up for a little aircraft with "Student Pilot" markings on the wings.Congrats-JohnKPHX