Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Helicopters with realistic FDE

It's been a couple of years since the last time I asked and there have been a lot of helicopters released/improved.  What are the helicopters with good FDEs these days?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Still nothing close to the Dodosim?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

The Rotary section is a pretty lonely corner of Avsim, isn't it Gregg?

I like helis and have looked into a number of them, but still only have the Dodosim in FSX. Every thread you'll find still calls the Dodosim the king of helicopter flight models for FSX. More than once I've read the Aerosoft Huey ranks #2. For all the rest I guess you really have to get that Helicopter Total Realism package to make them have comparable flight models. I was going to pick another helicopter and then go get the HTR for it, but then I decided I didn't feel like messing around with it. Except for Dodo, I'll just leave FSX for fixed wing aviation. Lately, after spending some substantial time flying helis in another sim, even the Dodo feels like it might be a little tame, but maybe that is accurate (I remember the time when I thought it was impossibly twitchy, but it doesn't feel like that at anymore).

get that Helicopter Total Realism package to make them have comparable flight models.

Funny you mention that.  I googled something or other and ran across hovercontrol.com and saw the HTR topic.  I did some reading and then downloaded and installed it for my Milviz 407.  I don't know helicopters RW but it feels more dynamic and fluid...like I'd imagine it should be.  Running Active Sky still messes with it but not as bad.

The Rotary section is a pretty lonely corner of Avsim, isn't it Gregg?

I should add, flying helos has added a whole new interesting dimension to my simming.  Not only do you learn a fairly challenging skill, you get to see (and appreciate) the world and scenery in a whole new way! 

Gregg Seipp