Sign in to follow this  
Overload

P3D won't allow me to select 3840x2160 resolution

I run P3D through a 4k projector. The screen resolution as shown by Nvidia is 3840x2160 at 30Hz.. When I run P3D and go to options/graphics the resolution shows as 1920x1080.

This is what shown in my Prepar3D.cfg.

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti.0.0]
Mode=1920x1080x32
[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti.0.1]
Mode=3840x2160x32

I can click on display and chose the GTX 780 Ti.0.1 and the resolution does indeed show as 3840x2160, but if I exit the menu, go back to the sim, then back to the graphics settings again, it's back to GTX 780 Ti.0.0 1920x1080.
I tried delecting GTX 780 Ti.0.0 from the config file, but on re-starting P3D, it's back again.
The sim is definitely running in 4K, I switched the projector back to 1920x1080, just to check, a huge difference in visual quality, but can't understand why P3D won't show it.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Eugene

If you're talking about the Display dropdown list under Full Screen Settings... it isn't showing what display you're displaying on. It's showing what display the current settings you see in that dialog apply to. So, if you select your second display and it's showing the correct resolution, then indeed when Prepar3D is displaying in Full Screen on that display... it will use that resolution.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Thanks Ed, I sort of understand...

Although the the Graphics page is labelled Full Screen settings - I thought true full screen wasn't available in P3D, just a pseudo version to appear like it's full screen?

But notwithstanding my limited understanding of the subject - are you saying - bottom line is that this is normal behavior and not a cause of concern?

Thanks

Eugene

It is normal behavior and not a cause for concern.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I thought true full screen wasn't available in P3D, just a pseudo version to appear like it's full screen?

You can run any window at "full screen" - it's a borderless window - there is nothing that is really "pseudo" about it - just a different method to use maximum available screen resolution.  You are confusing "full screen exclusive mode" which P3D does not use.  Here is a good article expanding on the issues and difference between DX9 and DX11 full screen exclusive mode: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee417025(v=vs.85).aspx

Cheers, Rob.

Here is a good article expanding on the issues

Wow Rob, that article is well above my pay grade - but thanks for putting right on full screen - 

And thanks Ed for setting my mind at rest.

Eugene