Sign in to follow this  
fighting

How does FSX Scenery loading mechanism work?

BGL, scenery.cfg and terrain.cfg - how those three combine together?

I'll explain myself:
The scenery.cfg contains many sections, called by [Area.nnn] (Actually, what is the meaning of 'nnn'?).
Now, let's say Area.001 refers to one BGL file (resides in the scenery directory):

- I've understood that the BGL file contains it's location (by the way, what is the format of the location?).
- Since the BGL "tells" FSX where it wants to be loaded, I guess that FSX knows also where to load all texture's directory contents - but how it knows how to place each bmp/dds file in it's right position in it's world?
- The last statement leads me to another question: are all textures tightly-connected to the BGL file? i.e., they cannot "exist" without it?
- Actually, if the scenery directory contains multiple BGL files, how FSX separates between each BGL-texture relationship? (If such a relationship do exists..)​

What about terrain.cfg? can you elaborate about it? specifically, what each [Texture.xxx] section means?

My main goal is to download massive land terrain pictures from the internet and load them into FSX's world at run-time. That's why I'm trying so hard to understand this mechanism.
This needs to be done automatically, so there is no place for manual software in this situation.

I'd be glad for any help I can get! :)

Happy day.

Edited by fighting

I suggest that you read the SDK help.