Sign in to follow this  
Joe Flyer2

FSX SDK SimConnect: Something is wrong and I can't fix it myself.

+Jim Young

I very sincerely apologize if I came across that way. I don't want there to be any wrong feelings. I understand now, and I am done. I wasn't trying to impose the effect that I was playing a game, because I was being honest when I said I didn't want to waste your time. Looking back at it now, it appears that's what I've unknowingly done.

Reputation is something I value greatly, and I don't want to leave a poor impression.

If there is any disciplinary action that you see necessary, please go ahead. I want to make it clear that I respect you for your responses and dedication to this site. My membership is something I would like to keep and maintain, considering AVSIM has been an invaluable tool for me in the past, and the community here is really friendly :). Being a young member, I want to continue to build a great reputation on AVSIM, and hopefully help others out when they need, as I've tried to do before.

Thank you,

Joe N.  

+Jim Young

Also, not to drag on, but I really don't want to come across as someone who has done something illegal to obtain FSX, because I by all means am not. I can very much prove this if that's what you'd desire, because like I said before, I want to maintain a proper reputation to you and professional relationship, and to do this, I want there to be no hot water from this thread. In all trueness, it is at your discretion: if I need to prove something or clear something up, please let me, and I apologize once again, as I take issues such as pirating very seriously, especially with the detriments they have to the economy and businesses (ie: PMDG, Aerosoft, FSDT, HiFiSim, many more) who are just trying to serve the community prime products.

From,

Joe N.

Joe,

Just for what it's worth, I followed the instructions on FSDeveloper for installing SimConnect and it worked just fine. The sequence is important and even if you find yourself thinking "...but I've already done that", follow the steps.

Jim raised an important point about UAC earlier and just to test my own knowledge I'll try to explain why. (If I get it wrong, I'm hoping a grown up will come along and educate us both). When FSX was 1st released, MS were not big on access control, and basically out of the box Windows was configured so that you could do anything unless you specifically told it otherwise. Lot's of bad guys came along and exploited this innocent "we're-all-good-guys-right?" stance by writing lot's of nasty malware that exploited this. So MS responded by locking the stable door in later versions of Windows (i.e. Vista onwards if ageing memory serves). The impact of this is that programs installed to the \Program Files folder are automatically treated in an, erm, "rigourous" way that many FSX programs and 3rd party add-ins don't anticipate which can lead to all sorts of seemingly weird issues that boil down to the operating system trying to prevent malware activity.

"So what?". So, if you've installed FSX in the default folder, you need to remove some of the controls as outlined so clearly by Jim above. If you (like me) have followed other advice and installed FSX elsewhere on your machine, *an out of the box SimConnect installation will not find the SimConnect programs* and hence you need to run the little MS utility described on FSDeveloper to address this.

You'll know that SimConnect installation has worked when a Tools menu option appears on your in flight main menu. If it hasn't then the chances are you have not followed the installation instructions in strict sequence and thus the wrong version of SimConnect is active. In which case (as Microsoft support used to advise) reinstall Windows and start again. [Joke!!]

Hope this helps...

Z

• Upvote 1

In which case (as Microsoft support used to advise) reinstall Windows and start again. [Joke!!]

That one got me  :Tounge: . Thanks. 

Well, as I got back into school this year there was certainly a bigger lull in the amount of flight simulation I was able to do. Now, don't kill me, but I've owned X-Plane 10 Global for a while. However, it wasn't until I built a PC a month and a half ago that I really started using X-Plane 10, because my prior hardware, while quite decent in some respects, was not fully capable of masterfully running X-Plane 10. With that, I run X-Plane 10 on pretty high settings with HDR and what not, and I have been all around quite pleased with the flight model, autogen scenery, and continuous support of the sim. However, XP10 is certainly lacking in a few things that FSX does not lack (of which I will not go into). 

With that, I wanted to install FSX on my computer. I'm surprised I have not ripped my hair out yet (okay, for an explanation on that, just read this: http://www.avsim.com/topic/483598-games-for-windows-marketplace-fsx-and-me/)

So, right now, the SDK is probably the least of my worries. But I really appreciate Jim Young's answers (and patience!). Once FSX is actually fully functional again, I will deal with the SDK. But what with school and everything right now, I'll have to wait a few days more. 

Joe.