Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Which is the P3D cfg to edit?

I am confused, but not unusual for me....I looked in the folder for the P3D.cfg file    App data/ roaming/lockheed martin/Prepar3Dv2   and I see 3 entries:

Prepar3D.cfg

Prepar3D.cfg.tmp

Prepar3D.cfg.txt

It appears that the one that I have been editing is Prepar3D.cfg.txt     Am I editing the wrong file? And why are there 3 files with cfg?  

Thanks..

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

The one that is actively used by P3D is the prepar3d.cfg. The others are old versions of your .cfg file, that are set aside when installing an addon. You should see them as the .cfg file as it was before that addon was installed, so if you want to roll back, remove that addon and restore to your settings to what they were before that addon was installed you can change the name to prepar3d.cfg and delete the curent .cfg.

Cheers!

Maarten

The one that is actively used by P3D is the prepar3d.cfg. The others are old versions of your .cfg file, that are set aside when installing an addon. You should see them as the .cfg file as it was before that addon was installed, so if you want to roll back, remove that addon and restore to your settings to what they were before that addon was installed you can change the name to prepar3d.cfg and delete the curent .cfg.

OK, so the one I should be editing is the Prepar3d.cfg.    I was editing the wrong one, with the txt on the end.....  Thanks,

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Before You Edit Your "p3d.cfg" file - Be Sure to Backup - "Save As" - "p3d.cfg.Bak" - "p3d.cfg.txt1" - "p3d.cfg.tmp1" - or what ever - Just Remember that if You get Completely - Blown Away - You can allways just delete p3d.cfg - P3d will re write the file on Reboot ! - You will Probably Loose any changes - But It will work !! - Use NotePad or WordPad - only - to edit ! - Good Luck !! - Johnman B)

I see where I made my mistake in one of the previous edits I made using notepad. When you save the edited file, the default save on notepad is a .txt file. ( I should know this, but obviously wasn't paying attention when I saved one of the edits.) So then all subsequent edits, I was reloading this prepar3d.cfg.txt  file and editing it and saving it again, and of course P3D was ignoring that file, and using the Prepar3d.cfg which which did not have the edits I made....  No wonder none of my edits seemed to not have any affect.. Oh well, I got it straightened out now....   :nea:

Some Days You Just have More Fun Than Others !! - Johnman :smile: