Sign in to follow this  
BrettT

Can you manually adjust FOV in P3D

I have done a fair bit of searching and in the forums and on-line and have yet to come to a complete answer with regards to how you can manually change the P3D output FOV to be what you should see based on the size of your monitor and the distance you sit from it.  I use DCS world and can adjust these in the config file after doing a little math to find out what it should be and I love the perception and sensation of speed.  I have also use this approach in iRacing with similar results.  The part I like about it is that it really helps develop stick and rudder skills and is probably critical to flying helicopters.

The closest I have come across is some discussion as to what the correct zoom is and to use wide aspect or not, but non of these take into account the actual size of your monitor/TV and how far you sit away from it.  So basically I should expect to have a wider FOV if I go from a 40" Screen to a 50" and am still sitting the same distance away from it.

Any help or insight is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brett 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Ok,

I found where you can change the FOV in the Camera.cfg for the VC by specifying the HorizontalFOV or the VerticalFOV and the program will calculate the other based on the aspect ratio of the display.  This didn't seem to work as advertised in that you had to specify both otherwise the picture was highly distorted.  This is not a huge deal as they are both pretty easily calculated.    Just thought I would pass this along and see if anyone else had something to add.

Regards,

Brett