Sign in to follow this  
jgoggi

Weather returns exaggerated

Thank you very much, Kostas, for the detailed explanation. My cloud coverage slide is set to maximum. Summing up "my" problem, at aircraft position I get a scary red area on the radar but in fact outside I see light rain and not important cloud formations.  

James Goggi

Example: at the moment at BGJN a light rain is reported. The METAR (taken from ASN) is:

BGJN 211050Z 20006KT 9999 -RA SCT016 BKN037 05/03 Q1020

(by the way, at present it's 0755Z of Sep 21, how can that METAR be taken in the future, at 1050Z??)

I sit the aircraft on the runway and the ND reports a quite big red area around the airplane, as if there was a big thunderstorm just above the field. I tried changing the clouds/visibility/effects parameters in ASN (while in FSX I have cloud maximum coverage) but nothing changes.

Another observation: where "-DZ" is reported it seems that no returns are present on the ND. I tried at CYQY and CYSM, with METAR at 1200Z (again, now it's 0755Z) and I can't see any return on the ND. It's a bit strange, big red areas with light rain, no areas at all with drizzle.... 

James Goggi

- You can't expect to get realistic thunderstorm depiction when the "consensus" (by well "respected" community members) tends to be to have the cloud density slider set to medium, in order to preserve performance (especially in P3D).

Does that mean the slider should be set to maximum inside fsx?

-David Lee

Hi

@David: Yes. Otherwise whenever ASN injects 8/8 clouds and you have this set to medium, you'll get 4/8 clouds in the sim

@James: As I said, this is an issue that we have to fix. As for the other issues ("metars in the future", DZ etc), let's continue this on our forums (including logs etc)

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Hi

@David: Yes. Otherwise whenever ASN injects 8/8 clouds and you have this set to medium, you'll get 4/8 clouds in the sim

@James: As I said, this is an issue that we have to fix. As for the other issues ("metars in the future", DZ etc), let's continue this on our forums (including logs etc)

Thanks! I did read a few tips from people telling me to set to minimum and ASN would still depict cloud coverage the same, will change back to max. - David Lee