Sign in to follow this  
JasonD210

Scenery Advice

Hi

I want to get some scenery for P3D - moving away from the default. I am not really knowledgeable on it and there seems to be several mainstream alternatives.

From what I can gather by reading various threads, one way to go seems to be to install FTX Global base scenery, then get vector and openLC or even UTX scenery for any specific areas I want to enhance, and finally, specific airports on the top layer. Does this sound ok or is it problematic?

/Jason

Hi

I want to get some scenery for P3D - moving away from the default. I am not really knowledgeable on it and there seems to be several mainstream alternatives.

From what I can gather by reading various threads, one way to go seems to be to install FTX Global base scenery, then get vector and openLC or even UTX scenery for any specific areas I want to enhance, and finally, specific airports on the top layer. Does this sound ok or is it problematic?

/Jason

Hi Jason

Yes you can do what you set out, if you want to go with ORBX sceneries. I use them and many others do as well and are happy with the results. So Global + Vector + openLC (Europe and NA Canada currently available.) You may want to install a more detailed mesh; I have Pilots FS Global 2010. You could also install some of ORBX's more detailed regions: I have all of the EU (UK and Ireland) and most of the NA regions (mostly northwest US and Canada). There are also Australia and NZ regions if you are interested in flying in those areas. Then there are probably hundreds of different airports you can install, and most of them compatible with ORBX Global and Regions. Not all of these products are currently set up for P3D3, but ORBX is putting out about one scenery a week.

But qualifying the above. Some flyers have problems with Global Vector, in that it hits performance pretty heavily.  I haven't installed it yet in P3D3, and will wait awhile to decide. As I fly most in Regions, Global/Vector are not needed. So if you intend to fly in UK + Ireland or Northwest NA or Australia or NZ, you don't really need the Global products or a mesh, as they are all included in the regions.

As far as airports, I fly mostly in the UK, so I have installed several of ORBX's airports and most of the UK2000 airports.

I have descirbed ORBX and compatible products as I have found them to be high quality and satisfy my flying needs, but they are certainly not the only ones. There are other texture, landclass and vector products, but I am not familiar with them. Many of them are discussed elsewhere in these forums. Also, if you fly at high altitudes, you might want to consider photorealistic sceneries. I bought one once and was unhappy with it at lower altitudes.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Hi

Thanks! I'm also in the UK and was thinking of getting the England package...presumably this just sits on top of any other ORBX global scenery.

I use A2A aircraft, as well as Aerosoft's Otter, quite a lot and in FSX at UK2000's Manchester Airport Extreme and the B-377, I was getting about 14 fps on the tarmac. I haven't noticed anything different with the same set up in P3D v3 yet, which is disappointing, but my computer is due for an update, as you can see (actually my nVidia is a 660).

I think I'll probably go for the FTX Global base, then add individual areas I want to enhance.

/Jason

Good choice. I fly mostly the A2A Comanche and RealAir Duke V2. I  also like the Milviz B55 and Carenado Seneca 5 (I have upgraded the sound of both of these a/c with the Arezone sound upgrade products. Helped a lot.)

You might want to consider the the UK2000 VFR airfields packages volume    1 & 2. They are both out in V2 now, P3d3 compatible; they cost £35 each set, but you get a lot of airports of very good quality (much better than default not quite up to the Extreme airport quality.)

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049