Sign in to follow this  
Jim Robinson

A Load Of GA Randoms From The Last Two Months

Thanks very much for all the awesome comments people, much appreciated! :smile:

Lovely shots Jim - and great idea to put the GTN750 in to the MFD frame, on the -350P ......  I'm going to copy you on that one!

Actually Bill that's the PC-12, I don't have the 350P but I'm really tempted to buy it before the sale is over, only thing stopping me is I think it's a bit slow for the types of flights I like to do, I may buy it anyway however because a slower airplane will probably come in handy when SCA is finally released! (which hopefully will be any day now, tap, tap...) For the PC-12 though if you have it, my (rather quick) edit for the GTN looks like this:

[Vcockpit04]

//gauge01=EX500_PC12!EX500_3D,           0,  0, 513,409
gauge01=F1GTN!GTN750VC,  75,45,370,290,UNIT1

I'll probably fine-tune things a bit as I'm not completely happy with the positions and size yet. I still have the GTN on a pop-up because that VC panel is down by your knees so you have to look down and zoom in quite a bit to use it, also you have no "Direct to" button. Clicking the Avidyne logo still opens the Avidyne in a pop-up so my plan is to change that so it opens the GTN window instead, that should be a simple matter of swapping out gauge03 with a custom one that opens ident=14401 (the GTN panel).

Night lighting is fantastic!! How do you achive that in 3.0?

Hi Lamar, if you mean the aircraft lighting on the taxiway that's a simple matter of reloading the aircraft, otherwise they don't show up. Seems to affect them all as the Turbine Duke needs the same treatment. I assigned Ctrl+Shift+A to "reload user aircraft" in the key bindings, reloading the aircraft needs to be part of your pre-start checklist though because reloading the aircraft restarts the GTN and then you need to punch in your flight plan and all that stuff a 2nd time. Hopefully that'll be fixed in v3.1.

If you mean the scenery lighting, it's a combo of FTX Global autogen lighting and UTX v2 lighting for the roads. I turn off vector road lights in FTX Central 2. IMHO the UTX light splashes look better in FSX than they do in v3 (see last screenshot which is from FSX), in v3 the edges of the light spots are more visible where in FSX they fade/blend better around the edges. FTX regions cancel out the UTX lights I believe so when I'm using NA as opposed to Global Hybrid in FTX Central I turn the vector road lights back on.

Hi Jim,

Superb set !!!

Noticed you like the 406 - - - how do you like the PC-12 ??? Specifically flight miodel and systems - - - as Careando visual quality is never in question...

Regards,

Scott

Hi Scott, I hope you're enjoying your first experiences with P3D3! :smile:

The PC-12 was sort of an afterthought for me, I thought it was silly looking (pointy nose) so I probably wouldn't have bought it at full price but after flying it I have to say it's hand flying qualities are about the best I've ever experienced. Amazing speed envelope, it'll get out and really haul the mail at altitude yet you can slow it down and land it like a Cub. The F406 flies beautifully by hand too but it falls out of the sky at a higher airspeed than the PC-12, probably true to real life I suppose. Bernt Stolle is doing the FDEs on most of these newer Carenado/Alabeo releases so they're really good IMHO, I dunno if they're 100% accurate but they have an excellent feel in the stick. Systems in both are fairly advanced, there's an IAS climb/descent mode for example where the AP will hold a specific airspeed all the way up, lowering the nose as necessary to maintain the pre-selected speed as power bleeds off. I still haven't figured out what the deal on prop RPM is with the PC-12, there's no prop control, #####?! You can change it with Ctrl+F2 / F3 but I'm not sure I'm supposed to be doing that? I guess a little RTFM may be in order, lol. I also plan on thoroughly investigating all the PC-12 mods everyone's done here in the PC-12 forum but just haven't made it that far yet. You have to bluff the installer BTW to get the PC-12 into v3, the F406 has an option to install into v3 directly.

Unbelievable shots, Jim.  Do you use Orbx and REX?

Hi Greg, yep FTX global, most of the NA regions, and REX4. In REX4 I have disabled low level clouds, day sky effects, global water, runway details, taxiway details, taxiway marks,airport lighting, and all the sound effects. For those I use:

Low level clouds: HDE v2 (cumulus01.bmp, 256px converted to DXT5)

Day sky effects: HDE v2 (converted to 32 bit for FSX/P3D)

global water: whatever FTX Global supplies

runway/taxiway details: This freeware Runway Detail Texture Set but resized to 256px and I also swapped runways for taxiways by renaming the files ("runway_detail.bmp" renamed "taxiway_detail.bmp" and vice versa, etc.)

Taxiway marks: I made them myself back in the FS9 days, really tattered and worn

Airport lighting: the halo.bmp supplied with A2A's Shockwave Lights

Sounds: default

Favorite REX4 community theme so far: Illicit REX by John Enema :smile:

(and some of my own themes as well, I change things around frequently)

Thanks again everyone and sorry about the lengthy reply! :smile:

• Upvote 2