Sign in to follow this  
Nick Dobda

Generate .pln with known route (for free)

All,

Taking off from Tutorial #2's discussion about using real weather with Active Sky -

The tutorial uses FS Build to generate a detailed .pln file to import into active sky - this method apparently interpolates between weather stations along the exact route.

The alternate (without FS Build) is using AS's route planner, but as mentioned you can only use VOR's or NDB's, so its less accurate.

I wish to find a happy medium between the two. For example, for the most part my routes are heavily used commercial routes readily available from FlightAware. I know the route.. I know the sids & stars - I just want to type in the route into some sort of converter for which Active Sky can read and utilize the interpolation feature to get accurate weather data for the route.

The Tutorial used FS Build to do this. I'm assuming FS Build has a ton of other features that were not utilized in the tutorial (I assume cause FS Build is payware), but the creation of a .pln file from a known route seems like a simple conversion, but I cannot find a program that will do this for free.

Does anyone know of such a program?

Aside - I know some routes include airways which inheritably contain waypoints but do not actually show up in the route (the route might say V121 or something, but V121 may contain multiple waypoints). The route planner I'm looking for will hopefully tabulate those internal waypoints so that I can get weather data from all the waypoints.

Thank you!

Curiously, wouldn't it be handy to complete the route in the FMC, the click a button to export a text file which can be imported into Active Sky? Thinking on the fly here, could I save the route as a company route, and export that into ASN? Does the company route save the SID / STAR or does it truncate it? I could look this info up myself, but I am away from my home computer.

Does anyone know of such a program?

SimBrief.com

Just want the file? SimRoutes.com (Click on Generate Route)

Curiously, wouldn't it be handy to complete the route in the FMC, the click a button to export a text file which can be imported into Active Sky? Thinking on the fly here, could I save the route as a company route, and export that into ASN? Does the company route save the SID / STAR or does it truncate it? I could look this info up myself, but I am away from my home computer.

So handy, in fact that we have a function in the 777 and 747 that automatically exports the FMC's route to an FSX plan file that ASN will automatically import. See Tutorial #1.5 for the 777 for how it all interacts. Not sure if the NGX will get this feature at some point.

Kyle Rodgers

Excellent, SimBrief looks like it will do exactly what I want it to do.

Looks like that will solve another quandary I had with getting an IFR route generated in FSX that matches what I will have in the FMC. And it uses current data - simroutes looks like the data is old.

Thank you!