Sign in to follow this  
aniiran

What files control visibility in FSX?

I have a problem with visibility after an add on was installed.  Everything was fine with my ORBX night lighting until I installed a similar product now my visibility is messed up.  If I set my visibility low I can still see streetlights for miles ahead and I can even see the horizon, moon and the milky way arm. 

Here is what I want to know.  I have a clean build of FSX on another computer that has no such issues. So I was thinking instead of spending 3 days reinstalling FSX I would just find the files that control visibility and bring them over from the good build. I have confirmed every thing works as it should regarding visibility and night lighting. So I just be able to replace all the visibility files and have everything go back.

Any ideas on which files they may be. Shader folders and Texture files?  If no one can answer here can you point me to where someone might know?

Thanks in advance.

I would check the light texture files (like halo.bmp). But your problem will be that you didn't have the default files and config in there in the first place, you had ORBX's replacements. You have to recover those - best done by reinstalling or repairing your ORBX product(s).

The shader folders in /AppData/Local/Microsoft/FSX you can simply delete, the sim will build new ones. This may be a good idea in any case.

LORBY-SI

It's not just ORBX its UTX also.   I would think that quite possibly it was an issue with those except I can see the horizon and the moon and the milky way.  There is something wrong now with the way my FSX build is handling visibility.  

I tried to delete and rebuild shaders to no avail.  The problem still exists.

My question is just for a brief explanation of the files that control visibility and how they interact, so I can replace all of them with files from my good build.  The problem is I don't know which files to port over.

I assume there are shaders at play but also bitmaps.