Sign in to follow this  
claypool

Making Fs2004 work again on my new laptop

Hi 

I've recently purchased a new laptop to replace my old desktop that worked great but finally died

The laptop i purchased originally had Windows 10 which wouldn't run Fs2004 without a lot of alterations to the setup (I checked multiple boards)r 

After lots of reading I determined that the best option was to purchase and a copy of Windows 7 and downgrade my system to make FS 2004 run

I downloaded it and FS2004 ran (with some alerts that additional updates were required for proper running) 

I did find out quick that I was going to need a whole slew of updates and drivers as things like my thumb drive and wifi and internet plug wasnt working

I took my computer in and had the the drivers added so everything would work, with the exception of FS2004. I've reloaded it twice and it still wont start up.

I've taken it back to guys that uploaded the drivers and they have no idea what to do.  I tried downloading the patch that allows the program to run without the disk, but I keep getting the error message "MSVCR70.dll"

I would appreciate any help that can be provided as I really don't want to give up Fs2004 since I have a lot invested in this program and dont want to go to FSX

Thanks 

Hi,

I had fs2004 installed on my Notebook Acer Aspire One D255, its one of lowest spec I think.  It performed reasonably with default aircraft with modified panels.

I have the "MSVCR70.dll" in fs2004 main folder. FYI the file I had was created Wednesday, 6 February 2002.

Just check and see if you have the same file.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.

Hi

Yes I have file in my FS2004 main folder.  Any idea whats with the error on the disk patch or why the program wont work when i try to load it up?

Sorry, I have no idea why it gives you the error.  I installed it straight of the disks, no hiccups whatsoever. Forgot to tell you that I am using Windows 7 32bit for FS2004 and never tried to install it in Win7 x64.

Have you googled around and see if anyone had the same problem. I will try later and let you know if I can find anything which might helps.

The recent updates to Win7 installed the same 'security' measure that Win10 has with regard to apps that use certain forms (read 'CD' required) of security. There are several ways to get around this - use the 'nocd' version of FS2004, or read this https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3086255 and make the registry changes,  or simply remove update 3086255 via the control panel.

DJ

I have read in the Spanish forum "this happens if you are using FS2004 in windowed mode". I don't know how far this is true as I always played it in full screen. So, if you haven't try that, see if it works?  Press ALT + ENTER.

One other thing... DO NOT Install FS 9 in the Default 'Program Files' location. Create a separate Folder on your Hard Drive, and point the Install there.

Alan :smile:

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg