Sign in to follow this  
alex

Using FS Water Configurator plus with DX10 Fixer?

Hello! I come here with a question or a request:

I've been using Steve's DX10 fixer for a few months and very happily so. 

Also sometime ago I tried FS Water Configurator plus. This software finally solved one of the two main issues I had with FS water, this one being the perfect mirroring of the clouds in the sky, no matter what wave effect you chose, making the water appearl like a glass mirror. FSWC+ allows you to distort the reflection adjusting it to the waves you have and creating a much more realistic look.

But FSWC+ uses a different water shader. When I use it I loose DX10 Fixer's water settings, namely the other issue I had with FS water - the awful sinking sun reflection *after* sunset. Thank you Steve for getting rid of that!

Would there be a way to be able to use both together? Would Steve consider including the same water options that FSWC+ includes (wishing is easy, I know).

Regards,

Alex

Rui Laureano

Lisboa, Portugal

The Sky Reflection sliders adjust the amount of the sky  & clouds  blended in - I set them quite low(20-30%)  to avoid the glassy effect and the stars at night.

The only other thing I have considered is altering the blend based on the wind strength - but the problem is that you really want to go between  water  blended with a perfect reflection when calm to water + average whole sky colour  when v windy and I cannot think of a way to do that efficiently.

Hi Steve, I took two comparing pics so you can see what I mean.

The first pic was taken using DX10 fixer with your suggested 30% max reflection and 20% min when looking down - much better than the 40% I was using, thank you.

The second picture was taken using FSWater Configurator Plus (FSWC+) with the option to distort the reflections by 73%. Notice how the cloud reflections are "smudged". Although they're there, you notice more the highlighted brightness of the cloud and less their contours. I used aerial pics of bora bora and tahiti with hanging cumulus reflected on water to try to obtain the same look, I think it looks more realistic; the way FSX reflects clouds is too mirror like for an ocean, no matter what kind of wave effect we choose. Having reflections dynamically adapt to the wind conditions would be fantastic, of course, but I am not going so far as to ask for that now :).

25aqn8h.jpg

Steve's DX Fixer

kbx1yc.jpg

FSWC+

Rui Laureano

Lisboa, Portugal